Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaking Oil In Drivers Footwell?

sumomoggy

Hello,

First up, I am a newbie to this - apologies if this is a common issue but I have been unable to find it in the forums.

I seem to have a leak in my footwell drivers side, and the issue appears to be from some kind of a plastic connection/pipe. I have circled in the photographs attached. In the close up you can see some of the oil. Please could anyone advise on what this is and if it is serious/costly? I thought it was water at first but it does seem to be an oil type liquid.

It may be co-incidence but my trip-omoter has also just started to fail at a similar time (not sure if connected?) However, my petrol gauge has never properly worked in the 3 years I have had it, so I rely on my tripometer to estimate when i need to fill up, so i reset it every time i visit the petrol station I reset it.

Thanks in advance.

1.6 Estate LX 2003

post-61508-0-03703000-1420192208_thumb.p

post-61508-0-25875600-1420192221_thumb.p

Hi Andy. To my knowledge it's the master cylinder. When I replaced my clutch, dmf a couple I months ago I never had to replace mine but remember someone saying that that is where it is. If you go onto euro car parts website and enter your registration and find the master cylinder will find out the price. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Plus have someone mechanically minded check over it as I'm not 100% but the liquid is brake fluid wich runs through the hydraulic clutch system.

Hi Andy, Its is the clutch master just like Phil said, its an easy fix but a bit of a fiddle, its push clips and 2 small bolts on the unit , push fit pipes in the engine bay, one clip and 2 small bolts in the car, to do it, in engine bay unclip two pipes (make a note which one is on top) next move the drivers seat right back take the 2 small bolts out, then pull off the clip, take out the unit, and replace, do the unit first clip/bolts, then back to engine bay push and lock the pipes back on, fill the brake fluid and bleed the clutch

Hi Alan/Phil - thanks very much for your replies that is a great help.

It sounds a bit more involved to me than I expected, and not being overly techy I wouldn't trust myself to do a good enough job! So I think I will have to take it to my trusty local garage man.

Didn't know it was brake fluid leaking - glad for your posts as we have stopped using the car until it is fixed now. The leaking seems to be slowly getting worse too.

I take it this is likely un-related to the tripometer failing?

Regards,

Thanks for the reply Andy, all the best with your car, hope it don't cost you too much getting it fixed.

Alan

Yeah it's not a good idea to keep using the car. Take it off the road till you have it looked at. Let us know how it goes. Hope you get it sorted soon. Good luck

Phil

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club