Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could Someone Have Unlocked My Car?

marduk

I have a 2011 Fiesta Zetec tdci. It's been outside my house for a couple of days on the side of a busy road. I just went out and the glovebox was open. I'm 100% positive that I didn't leave it open, and I always double check that I locked the doors. When I just went out, I unlocked the doors when I was too far away to notice whether I unlocked them or if they already were. Nothing was missing, but there wasn't anything of value in there. How complicated would it be for someone to gain access? I'm not sure whether there are any common security issues. I'm assuming that getting the locks changed wouldn't be cheap.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Is it keyless entry?

Someone could have picked the lock without too much difficulty, however, given that would trigger the alarm, either you forgot to lock the doors (or accidentally unlocked them getting something out your pocket - been there done that!) and someone took a chance, or if they did crack your car, they either disabled your alarm and bypassed it, or somehow attached your car without triggering the perimiter alarm.

put it this way, if they could disable the alarm and get into the car, you shouldnt have had a car to go back to!

• Like 1

Could it be that the glovebox hadn't latched shut properly last time it was opened?

• Like 1

I agree it probably wasn't latched properly, if someone had taken the time to break in do you really think all they'd have done is open the glovebox? I mean really?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I considered that it hadn't been closed properly and messaed around with it for a bit, and there didn't seem to be any transition state that it could have been in. It was either secured or open.

That's why I asked if there were any known issues with it, as I figured bypassing the alarm would be pretty complicated and someone wouldn't go to the trouble just to check for a satnav or something else of value. Suppose I'll just be more vigilant and more careful with my keys after I've locked it and see if anything else happens. Thanks.

Try using the key manually, see if anything feels wrong.

My work van was broken into several times and I could tell the key barrel and been forced, but with no exterior damage.

The key would go in but it felt a little rough, and after turning the key it wouldn't spring back to the 12 o'clock position,

it would stay around the 1 o'clock position.

Usually if its opertunist scumbags breaking in to cars you would have a broken window,,,, if its some one with the skills to turn your alarm off then open the car it would not be there.

I had a simelar thing once when my arm rest in my car was up and opened and someone had been rumageing around in the storage under it,,, car was still locked and everything, it was my daughter getting a mobile phone adapter from a kit i have in the car,, my keys are hung up in the hall way,,, doh.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club