Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice Please On Getting A Mk2 Focus

the goat

hi all, new here I'm looking for advice on the focus mk2, my son in law needs a new car, (anything from 05-09 reg) he cannot work with his hands, so its me that will have to look after it, but I will only get to see the car every 2-3 months, he drives 80 miles round trip to work each day, so needs to be good on fuel,

I want it easy to maintain, room to get my hands around everything,

as a lad in 70's I grow up with fords, and last one I had was a focus mk1 1.8 tdi estate 02 reg, that was good car

also what are the major service mileages

I know its big question, but his car has just died, and we have until Wednesday to get a new car for him

a big thanks in advance

A 1.8 Mk2 Diesel would serve him best, it's a simpler engine to the 1.6 and 2.0 but perfect for long runs.

Look for a Zetec or Ghia for decent extras.

If you can push for the facelift MK2 (MK2.5 - 08 onwards) then look for a Zetec S or Titanium for better toys and a decent bit of styling.

Very important to make sure there are 2 working keys with the car (one should be a remote type) as replacing missing keys can become pricey.

• Like 1

thanks, that's the tip of thing I was looking for

he had my old punto, but the engine blow last week, and I think needs to move up the ladder a bit in the comfeat stakes

Very important to make sure there are 2 working keys with the car (one should be a remote type) as replacing missing keys can become pricey.

Id agree with the others^^

About the keys though, Looks like the chaps who make forscan have been adding PATs programming to the seemingly endless list of other useful tools built in, they are working on the Mk2 focus just now as its a bit more complicated, will allow for cheap easy programming of new keys.

• Like 1

Id agree with the others^^

About the keys though, Looks like the chaps who make forscan have been adding PATs programming to the seemingly endless list of other useful tools built in, they are working on the Mk2 focus just now as its a bit more complicated, will allow for cheap easy programming of new keys.

Handy to know.

Who will need IDS then :)

• Like 1

Hi, having just bought a 1.8 tdci on an '06 plate wanted to put up a comment. It is a great car and I down sized from a '52 plate 2.0tdci mondeo (196k miles). The focus is lighter and handles better, does 50mpg without problem, is quieter and offers less road noise. I put it in for a oil change and to have the heat shields above the exhaust tapped back on, they had all fallen down. Garage also advised common problem in the sump going ' soggy' where water gets behind the paint, rusts the sump from the bottom up, eventually gives out. £250 part price from ford (£30 on eBay...).

Have been doing a few things to it already with lighting and fixing a leak to the boot - the spoiler was letting water drip through a screw so silicone it up - and its nicer than the mondeo too to work on. More space in the engine. Headlight bulbs are easier to replace if you have a 12inch long screw driver too.

For 80 mile round trip he will find it comfy too, the seats are a bit of a bucket to me and they hold you in place well. I paid £1700 for 120k miles on the clock.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

thanks. that does help, I had a 52 reg focus and it was a good car

I would recommend the facelift as when I was looking for a mk2 focus, all the pre-face lifts were starting to rust away on the bottoms of wings, and they just feel cheap compared to the mk2.5. Ford put right a lot of the niggles found in the mk2 so the facelift is better. Diesel would be more economical, I have a 1.8 petrol and average 27-30 mpg (local runs) and about 40-45 motorway

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club