Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another newbie with a MK7 on order

alexavfc123

Hi, only stumbled on this website through chance, seems to be alot of MK7 owners on here, used to be a member of UKFN, and still ZSOC, but not many people seem to have MK7's on there, and seems to be quite friendly in comparison to the other forums I used, especially UKFN

I take delivery of a white ZS on Sept 1st with the Skirts, privacy glass and 17's, after ordering on June 15th

I hope the car is as good as other posters say it is, although it felt a big improvement on my MK6 when I test drove a ZS

One thing I would like to get other posters opinions on is whether this coating pack is worth it, as they told me they would contact me a couple of weeks before delivery to ask how I wanted the car to be prepared, is it worth the £200 notes?

Thanks

Alex

What is this coating pack? Is it worth it on the solid white colour?

Hi Alex - I'm also a member of UKFN and ZSOC, although I tend not to post on the latter now as I changed my order from a ZS to a Titanium!

Re the paint coating - general consensus is that's definitely not worth £200. Both Supaguard and Diamondbrite are MASSIVELY marked up by dealers. A full set of Diamondbrite can be had from eBay for less than £20. If the dealership applies it, not only will it be massively expensive, but you can't guarantee that it hasn't been applied by the work experience teenager who gets paid 50p a car....

The products themselves do work - although they need to be topped up regularly to give good protection long term. Personally, I've caught the detailing bug big time and have invested the £200 in some top quality wash gear - including some good hard wax. I've been experimenting on other cars while I wait for the Mk7, and the results have been fantastic. I would gently nudged you down this route instead.

I've had my Zetec-S diamondbrited, purely because my Dad had it done to his old focus and his paintwork was like new 10 years after purchase after almost 100k motorway driving. Part of me wishes now I hadn't bothered as I'd quite like to wax my car and the aftercare kit doesn't allow it :lol: It's all down to whether you like to 'wash and go' or take your time. `both have the same outcome :)

Welcome to the site Alex - have you had your delivery date confirmed as I was told when I ordered mine on the 1 June that it would be here mid August only for them to admit last week that it is not even going to be built until the 18th August and then it has got to get over here

They are still saying that it should be here week commencing 31st August but I am not convinced it'll be here in time for the 1st Sept so have put back my week off so that I can make the most of it when it finally does arrive.

As for the coating - tbh the general concensus is that as long as you clean and wax your car reguylarly that you should not need it. I just need to find someone to wash and wax mine!! LOL

As for the coating - tbh the general concensus is that as long as you clean and wax your car reguylarly that you should not need it. I just need to find someone to wash and wax mine!! LOL

Eh, what's wrong with you doing it? :P

Eh, what's wrong with you doing it? :P

haven't got the patience to do it properly, oh and I am a lazy bugger too (can't you tell from the amount of posts I have put on here in 11 weeks??) LOL

haven't got the patience to do it properly, oh and I am a lazy bugger too (can't you tell from the amount of posts I have put on here in 11 weeks??) LOL

Yes I have noticed the number of posts!

Welcome to the site Alex - have you had your delivery date confirmed as I was told when I ordered mine on the 1 June that it would be here mid August only for them to admit last week that it is not even going to be built until the 18th August and then it has got to get over here

They are still saying that it should be here week commencing 31st August but I am not convinced it'll be here in time for the 1st Sept so have put back my week off so that I can make the most of it when it finally does arrive.

I've heard nothing as of yet, think I will be going into the dealership now to see what the timescale is, when I originally ordered it, all they could tell me was that there was a car matching the exact specifications of mine scheduled to be built, so the dealer allocating me this one which they claimed was suppose to save time on the waiting list, as oppose to ordering a factory build that wasn't as of yet scheduled to be built, guess I shall see, but my dealings with the dealer have been alot better than what I had with the Heartlands branch I got a quote at, and had my servicing on my current Fiesta done at

As for the coating, think from what I have read I'd rather invest in some decent wax and polish, all I've really ever used is Auto glym polish (superb stuff) followed by Meguiars Gold class wax, although only done about twice yearly, with a yearly clay bar which has always kept the paintwork on my black Mk6 looking shiny and smooth, although I'm sure there are better combinations

Thanks for the replies

Hi Alex - I'm also a member of UKFN and ZSOC, although I tend not to post on the latter now as I changed my order from a ZS to a Titanium!

Re the paint coating - general consensus is that's definitely not worth £200. Both Supaguard and Diamondbrite are MASSIVELY marked up by dealers. A full set of Diamondbrite can be had from eBay for less than £20. If the dealership applies it, not only will it be massively expensive, but you can't guarantee that it hasn't been applied by the work experience teenager who gets paid 50p a car....

The products themselves do work - although they need to be topped up regularly to give good protection long term. Personally, I've caught the detailing bug big time and have invested the £200 in some top quality wash gear - including some good hard wax. I've been experimenting on other cars while I wait for the Mk7, and the results have been fantastic. I would gently nudged you down this route instead.

Think you've swayed me from having it done! As I've said I'd rather invest myself in some products, and do it myself, my Mum had her Merc done soon after she had had it, and to see that they had used a sponge to wash it with I think demonstrates they may be spotty teenagers! As her 6 month old black mark now has lots of lovely swirl marks, regardless of how good the treatment is on her car

What would you recommend as a polish/ wax/ sealer on a decent budget? As with the winter coming up I'm more concerned about tar extracts on the skirts etc

Thanks

What is this coating pack? Is it worth it on the solid white colour?

anyone :( I'm the lazy type who takes the car to the jet wash by the way, not sure if I have the patience to go down the polishing route?

Personally I don't use a sealant as such.

Wheels - Foam/Rinse (optional, but great fun!) - Wash - clay - Wash - Polish - Prime - Wax - Quick Detailer

Works for me. Since having them recommended to me on this very site by greenymk7 I've fallen in love with Dodo Juice products. Everything smells so good!

Dodo Born to be Mild shampoo, Dodo Born Slippy clay lube (your choice of clay bar, Sonus Green or Dodo Supernatural for me), Autoglym SRP (if needed), Lime Prime Lite, your choice of Dodo wax (they have a white soft wax, a white hard wax, their flagship supernatural wax and the new two part wax - all of which will work on a white car) and lastly Dodo Red Mist. Job done.

That lot - £90-100 on one of the many good detailing websites around. Rubbishboy actually has a fantastic deal with their Supernatural Bundle - £120 which includes the expensive Supernatural wax and a load of microfibres, wash mitts and applicators to get you started there too.

anyone :( I'm the lazy type who takes the car to the jet wash by the way, not sure if I have the patience to go down the polishing route?

The 'coating pack' referred to is a treatment to seal the paintwork. Supaguard and Diamondbrite are the two big names in the field, both offering a similar product. As I've said above, it's marked up hugely by dealers and can cost up to £300!

For you Marky, it may be a good option, as washing is in theory relatively easy and you don't have to polish or wax. However, you'll need the 'conserver' products to keep it topped up every time you wash - and they're expensive.

If you go down this route, don't let the dealer apply for the reasons I gave above. Get the stuff (from eBay perhaps...) and take it to a valeter to have it applied properly. ;)

Cheers Dan. Hmmm, I'll have a think about this, I could maybe go back to using my own little jet wash and polishing the car? The weather ill be turning soon as well. It seems the aftercare needs to be done about once a month.

Hi and welcome to the group, great choice in colour lol, when I got mine back in Dec, there were hardly any whites about lol, my OH is a mobile car valeter, so he takes care of our car on a weekly basis, he has also superguarded it, as well as regular waxing. If you have not got time etc how about finding someone local to come do your car once a fortnight/month to maintain your babe (when you get it that is) xxx

Yes I have noticed the number of posts!

Oh I so need to get out more as I have put up more posts than you Bashful and I have not been on here anywhere near as long!

Hi and welcome to the group, great choice in colour lol, when I got mine back in Dec, there were hardly any whites about lol, my OH is a mobile car valeter, so he takes care of our car on a weekly basis, he has also superguarded it, as well as regular waxing. If you have not got time etc how about finding someone local to come do your car once a fortnight/month to maintain your babe (when you get it that is) xxx

Michelle - whats the going rate for a full valet then including waxing etc?

Hi DanGull

You seem to have the wash and brush up technique cornered!

Could you give a few pointers on what you would recommend for wax polish etc? Thanks.

Corsham10.... Newbie waiting for 3 door Fiesta in frozen white.

Personally I don't use a sealant as such.

Wheels - Foam/Rinse (optional, but great fun!) - Wash - Clay - Wash - Polish - Prime - Wax - Quick Detailer

Works for me. Since having them recommended to me on this very site by greenymk7 I've fallen in love with Dodo Juice products. Everything smells so good!

Dodo Born to be Mild shampoo, Dodo Born Slippy clay lube (your choice of clay bar, Sonus Green or Dodo Supernatural for me), Autoglym SRP (if needed), Lime Prime Lite, your choice of Dodo wax (they have a white soft wax, a white hard wax, their flagship supernatural wax and the new two part wax - all of which will work on a white car) and lastly Dodo Red Mist. Job done.

That lot - £90-100 on one of the many good detailing websites around. Rubbishboy actually has a fantastic deal with their Supernatural Bundle - £120 which includes the expensive Supernatural wax and a load of microfibres, wash mitts and applicators to get you started there too.

Hi corsham

See above for what I use - I should say that while I've done LOADS of cars in the past few weeks using this gear/method all my advice is second hand and I'm new to detailing. greenymk7's cleaning threads can be found and they have all this info and more in them.

Oh I so need to get out more as I have put up more posts than you Bashful and I have not been on here anywhere near as long!

Michelle - whats the going rate for a full valet then including waxing etc?

For our size cars a full valet (which isnt really needed as the carpets, roof lining, door panels etc dont need shampooing every month) with a coat of wax looking at about £50, Max does mini valets with coat of wax for £30, Wash Vac and Windows £15, Wash £5 - all depends on size of vehicle really and if there has been kids or dogs inside lol.

Think I will just have to keep waxing monthly to maintain the old girl! Don't really fancy paying out £50 a month for somebody else to clean my car, especially with some of the cowboys round our area, a valeter who lives a few doors down from us still uses a sponge :o

When applying wax is it best to work a panel at a time, i.e. apply the wax and then work it in etc, then move on, or apply the wax to the whole car, and then work it in?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club