Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox Oil Change

auldreekie

Focus 1.8 ghia tdi,52 plate, manual gearbox

How often should the gearbox oil be drained off and replaced in the above model, is there a specified mileage or time limit. Above car har 78000 genuine miles on the clock.

The gearbox has no drain plug and as such is meant to be 'sealed for life' but I personally don't like that idea. That said I only tend to do the oil when doing a clutch or if someone specifies otherwise..

• Like 1

The gearbox has no drain plug and as such is meant to be 'sealed for life' but I personally don't like that idea. That said I only tend to do the oil when doing a clutch or if someone specifies otherwise..

is that the same for all the focus gearboxes?

my tdci (MT75) has drain and a fill, and i changed it at around 110k and it made the gearbox smoother

sorry i have just realised you have said tdi, is that a tddi or a tdci? Not sure if they use an IB5 or an MTX75 box. IB5 won't have a drain plug.

• Like 1

no change intervals on ib5 or mtx

Auldreekie I don't like the idea of a "no change" of oil concept . Bought my Mk1 CL . and the first thing I did was change all oils. I do not think that an oil will last up to , and over 100.000 mls , and not lose it's properties . To do the gearbox, bought a soction pump off e-bay, that with a length of plastic tubing, both took out 90% of the oil . Reverse the proceedure , fill the pump and pump in the fresh oil .Job Done

The pump is sold by General Tool Store £6 65

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club