Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Focus Stalled

Kyde

Hello,

I tried searching the forums, but didn't find the exact same symptoms, so I decided to start new discussion. The engine in my car is 1.6 tdci 90 PS, so there isn't DPF on it. English isn't my native language so hopefully I can explain this clear enough.

So the problem is this. I was driving yesterday and suddenly the engine stalled and stopped. This was from full speed and without any warnings beforehand. So it was almost like there was no fuel. I tried restarting, but nothing. I wasn't able to start so had to tow the car to my house. I checked some of the fuses and also checked the fault codes but there wasn't any.

Yesterday evening I was thinking of possible symptoms which would have been there before this incident. Sometimes when standing for example in the traffic lights the revs suddenly dropped for short time. Very slight drop and then came back again. Also sometimes when accelerating the acceleration felt "uneven". The car is new to me, so I don't know if these are symptoms for this current issue.

So basically I now have car which won't start and do not give any fault codes. I don't want to take the car to the shop before I have some idea which could be the problem. Any idea where to start? All help and ideas would be highly appreciated.

E: I was thinking that would it be faulty EGR? Is it possible that you can't even start the engine if the EGR is faulty?

when was the fuel filter last changed and how did you check for the DTCs, many codes require a tool like a modified elm327, the dash doesn't always display all of the codes

Hi Dee_82,

I checked the fault codes using bluetooth reader (don't know if it's elm327, but similar at least) and OBD Car Doctor software. It has shown some codes earlier, so it should work. What is the best software to check the codes?

Don't know when the fuel filter has been changed. I have to check it from the service manual later today. This idea also came to my head. Do you think that it is possible that the engine will stop so suddenly if the filter is plugged? Of course it would be easy and cheap to try that first.

Definetly change the fuel filter if not changed recently.

What were the codes ?

Hi Mondeo,

So there were no fault codes this time. Earlier there were some CAN bus faults. But these hadn't come back this time.

I called a friend who works in a garage. He asked from Ford mechanic about the possible causes. They also said that change the fuel filter first and also try block the EGR. Apparently it is possible that the car won't even start due to faulty EGR. They were changing an EGR to Mondeo with similar symptoms as we spoke on the phone.

Does anyone have dimensions or drawing for the EGR blanking plate? I could do the plate beforehand and try it later on.

You can buy a blanking plate from e - bay for around £4

Yeah, I noticed those which are sold in the eBay. Unfortunately it will take such a long time to get those to Finland. Also the P&P will be costly, so it is easier to do it yourself.

Get the one steal one from the chap in Poland, ive used a couple of his and they have been flawless and fairly quick, your bluetooth ELM really isn't up to the job of reading everything and the canbus errors can probably be ignored, I get them all the time and I'm pretty sure most folk on here get them too!

Thanks for the tips. Let's hope that changing the filter and or EGR will help. I'll get back to this once these have been tried.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

• Like 1

Get that egr sorted whatever you do

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KqKt4nzF7Nc

That is a similar state of my car, I blanked mine at 50k. I'm now leaning to remove the inlet manifold and perhaps some more to clean it all out.

• Like 1

Just to confirm. Blanking this EGR doesn't give any fault codes? And it doesn't require any re-programming of software? Can it be seen on the early inspection in any way?

Blanking the E.G.R.V. may illuminate the E.M.L. - periodically erase the E.M.L. with OBD II reader.

The blanking plate will only be around 1.5mm - 3mm thick & barely noticeable, if in doubt remove it prior to service or for warranty - then put it back in.

No programming or software required.

The 1.6 tdci shouldn't throw up any emls. I've only ever seen the eml with the 1.6 if the egr valve itself is screwed due to carbon buildup. Get it early an it'll be fine, it'll never fail the MOT because of it either what they can't see they can't fail.

Ok, thanks for the info! :)

Some updates to this matter...

Removed the EGR today. Mechanically it was ok, but still decided to get new one. I also disassembled the whole EGR. Otherwise seemed to be ok, but two components below the top hatch were corroded and really bad shape. Does anyone have any idea what are those components? Can those be the reason EGR is not working? Shame that I didn't take a picture.

Also other thing which I noted was that fuel filter was very light, so I think that it might have been empty. So now it came to my mind that is it possible that for some reason engine is not taking any fuel? Or is this something which can also be related to the faulty EGR? Or maybe I'm getting just too paranoid... :blink:

Hopefully I can get the new EGR from local dealer. If not, I need to order it from another shop and it might take few days.

Again some updates...

So EGR has been changed, but it didn't help. So still not starting. Tried to figure out the problem with my friend and it seems that the engine is not getting any fuel. All fuel lines were completely empty and dry. Also checked if there is suction in the line from the fuel filter, but I couldn't feel any suction. Should this be "felt" with finger when starting the engine?

Does anyone have any ideas what could I do by myself? If there is anything I could try before taking the car to the Ford dealer? I've read that there are some wiring issues somewhere in the ignition which might cause this? Any thoughts on this?

Have you tried bleeding the fuel system yet? Need to at least fill the new filter and if possible suck it up from the tank. They don't bleed themselves on these unfortunately.

• Like 1

So it turned out to be the EGR after all. We filled all the fuel lines and filter and after this the car started.

Thanks everyone for the help! :)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club