Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Tdci Fault Codes

Anthony74

Hi All,

First time posting here.

Got a few issues which I'm hoping the extensive knowledge on here can help with.

I have a 2006 1.8 tdci which has done 124k on the clock.

About a month ago the car went into limp home mode a few times during a week so I took the car into an independent and they advised glow plugs needed to be replaced. Whole set was replaced and car drove fine. I have always had a bit of an issue at low revs where the engine won't pick up straight away without revving it but thought that was just Ford's. I've now realised from looking on here that its probably an EGR issue which the garage mentioned a year ago when they serviced the car and said there was an old fault code in there.

So about 3-4 weeks ago the car was serviced and at the same time the check engine light had started to come on at low revs but had also reset and gone off when ignition is switched off and on. garage said the codes were EGR valve and also fuel rail pressure sensor circuit. Thought I'd do some of my own research before getting the garage to have a go as they said both would need replacing probably.

With the loads of information on here I found the EGR valve is inside the inlet manifold so not having the time/skills to remove that to clean it, decided on another course of action. Blank it off and use some Wynns egr cleaner before that's to give it a little clean.

Did the wynns last night and got a little bit of smoke out the back but not a lot. engine seemed a little better today and blanking plate arrived so that will be done at weekend. On my way home however, I pushed it through the rev range and the engine cut out as soon as I got above 3000 revs. Got home and read the fault codes. Previously it had P0489 & P0190 but today it has only thrown up P0190.

Now I'm not so sure that the EGR valve is the main culprit and was just maybe a little dirty and that the major problem is the fuel rail sensor circuit. Still going to go ahead with the EGR blank at the weekend but anyone got any idea of the other fault code?

Thanks

Anthony

Unsure on fault codes but mine had the same issues. I put the EGR plate on and it made a huge difference. Still pulled away poorly as replaced the afm on the airbox and now the car is ridiculously quick in first gear. I also upgraded the standard paper air filter and got a green cotton air filter which allowed the turbo to breathe much better

put the blanking plate on and also change the fuel filter, then see if the problem re-occurs.

im at 152K now with EGR blanked off and fuel filter replaced every 20k miles and no fuel rail issues yet, also running with a bluefin remap

• Like 1

P0190 is fuel rail pressure fault., normally its not the sensor but the connector for sensor, the pins vibrate and open up giving eratitc fuel pressure readings, try closing the pins abit for a more secure fit.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to continue and blank off the EGR this weekend and hopefully stop that issue.

On another note that Iantt mentioned, is the fuel rail sensor attached to the fuel rail that looks like a catherine wheel at the front of the enigne? I'm going to get a haynes manual tomorrow but if anyone has a pic of where it is on the engine that would be great.

Thanks

Anthony

Thats it, good description.sensor attatched to right side of it

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd provide some feedback about the issues above.

Blanked the EGR off using a solid stainless steel plate I bought off eBay. Certainly resolved my problem for a few days at least.

Continued to get the P0190 code for a few days so planned to do what Ian had suggested and clean the connector to the fuel rail sensor.

Day after blanking the EGR off I put a can of BG244 fuel cleaner into the tank.

All fine for a few days but the EML has started to come on each day and after reading the codes for a few days it would seem that the EGR problem is back. P0489 code is back but without the fuel rail sensor code I was previously getting.

Just to confirm;

-I'm no longer getting hestiation/low rev issues since blanking the EGR off.

-The car will occassionally hunt at idle during the first 5-10 minutes of driving

When the EML comes on with P0489 I don't get any hestitation when driving and it doesn't go into limp home mode

So what has caused the EGR code to return after blanking it off? Having the fuel cleaner in there isn't going to create an issue is it as I'm still only two thirds of a way through the tank of fuel with it in?

I'm a bit perplexed as I thought the Euro 4 engine didn't have issues with EML after blanking the EGR, I thought it was only Euro V engines that did.

Could air be getting in where I have blanked the EGR off?

Thoughts would be great

Thanks

Anthony

Good to hear at least one of your codes has gone, think the egr code is coming up due to the egr not working, regardless of wether you blank it off or not. Ive seen the egr fall to bits inside on your engine type,

Thanks Ian,

So are we saying that essentially I would have to replace the inlet manifold with another one so the EML won't come up anymore?

On another note about the fuel rail sensor, I took the connector off but I can't see the pins on the actual sensor as it is upside down. I assume when you mention the pins separating that you mean the female connector opens up and that I should try and close them by using a screw driver? Silly question but is it live and am likely to get a shock or do I need to disconnect the battery first?

Thanks for your help Ian

Yes to the egr, and the female connectors on the wiring plug, just have ign off,

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club