Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Braking Issues - Will It Stop In Time?

salsheikh

Hi All

recently the braking in my car has felt awful, its like the brakes dont work and it takes ages for it to stop.

Got my old man to check the pads and discs and as they were scored badly he replaced them and advised to brake easy to bed them in - how long is this bedding in period?

Also, he mentioned something about a one way valve which could be faulty that causes this issue. The braking is still poor but this could be down to me braking softly.

Any ideas?

When was the brake fluid last changed Sal ?

bedding in about 100 miles

Progressive braking technique will help your new discs & pads live longer & result in a quicker slowdown / stop.

When was the brake fluid last changed Sal ?

good question - I have no idea. Is it worthwhile upgrading to a better brake fluid like DOT4?

bedding in about 100 miles

100 miles? i do about 15 miles a day in 3 trips so about a weeks worth of driving that can cause a brown mess in my pants!

Progressive braking technique will help your new discs & pads live longer & result in a quicker slowdown / stop.

progressive braking - this is how i brake normally. i have never ever like sudden stops and always like to come to a nice smooth stop.

• Like 1

You could upgrade your caliper flexible hose to stainless steel braided from rubber if you have not done so already.The rubber perishes over time and expands when under pressure,giving a spongy feel.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Ideally new brake fluid every 2 years Sal - it's hydroscopic, so absorbs water over time which diminishes it's ability to function optimally & results in reduced braking ability

DOT 4 should be fine - it's probably already in there

• Like 1

There some good video on you tube showing you how to change brake fluid

Ideally new brake fluid every 2 years Sal - it's hydroscopic, so absorbs water over time which diminishes it's ability to function optimally & results in reduced braking ability

DOT 4 should be fine - it's probably already in there

is it worthwhile getting DOT 5.1 - only £12.99 for 1ltr in Halfords although the old man will get it cheaper than this as he has a trade account.

There some good video on you tube showing you how to change brake fluid

i wont be doing it - done by the old man for free :D

• Like 1

is it worthwhile getting DOT 5.1 - only £12.99 for 1ltr in Halfords although the old man will get it cheaper than this as he has a trade account.

i wont be doing it - done by the old man for free :D

No . . avoid DOT 5 as it's not hydroscopic & should water ingress it'll rust your brake pipes & other metal parts from the inside out :(

DOT 4 will be fine

• Like 1

Dot 4 and bed in doest take long on new discs , depends on how much you use them and not how far you drive.

Also, he mentioned something about a one way valve which could be faulty that causes this issue

The one-way valve is in the vacuum line to the servo and maintains the vacuum in the servo at times when the engine's not developing enough vacuum.

brakes felt better this morning. i asked my dad if he changed the fluid and he didnt so this job is on the to do list - hopefully this weekend.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club