Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loud Tapping Noise

EzzyRallyBoy

I have noticed that on our 1.6 Ti-vct Petrol engine there is a loud tapping noise, from the top of the engine, but when cold it is louder and sounds like there is a hammer smacking the engine, very tappetty, either that or its something related to one of the cams

The lads in work reckon Ford engines are always noisy (compared to other manufacturers) and yes they agree it sounds like a tappet that needs re-adjusting but I thought these engines were self adjusting hydraulic tappets ??

I know I should take it back but I don't want them to have it for a few days (then I am without a car) to say they couldn't find anything, as no warning lights have come on, do they have any sensors related to the cams or incorrect hydraulic tappet operation ??

Anyone else had a similar issue ??

Everyone happy with the engine noise levels on their cars ??

I have noticed that on our 1.6 Ti-vct Petrol engine there is a loud tapping noise, from the top of the engine, but when cold it is louder and sounds like there is a hammer smacking the engine, very tappetty, either that or its something related to one of the cams

The lads in work reckon Ford engines are always noisy (compared to other manufacturers) and yes they agree it sounds like a tappet that needs re-adjusting but I thought these engines were self adjusting hydraulic tappets ??

I know I should take it back but I don't want them to have it for a few days (then I am without a car) to say they couldn't find anything, as no warning lights have come on, do they have any sensors related to the cams or incorrect hydraulic tappet operation ??

Anyone else had a similar issue ??

Everyone happy with the engine noise levels on their cars ??

best to get it checked out if you are concerned , is this noise always been there or have you just started to notice it?

I was sitting in the car the other day with the engine running, and decided to look under the bonnet. I was shocked by the loud tapping noise whilst the engine was idling. I immediately thought of tappets but as car was due for first service i did not take it in. So you are not alone with this. Let me know what happens if you take it in.

Mitch84 - I think I ave only recently become aware of the noise - has it been there since day 1 hmmm not sure doubt it, I used to tinker with cars so kinda guess I would have noticed it straight away so I think it is something that has crept up on me - Only had the car 4 months and its the first brand newwie I have ever had so not sure if you miss things in all the excitement of getting used to ya new car / gadgets etc so still wondering if this is normal or am I fretting about nothing - Will reply and let you know what I find out

Brent M - This is the reason I have held back so far (other than I struggle if I ain't got a car for a day or two) as I am not sure if this is what they all sound like - again lads in work say Fords are noisy (but they ain't no mechanics) - When is your first service due ??

I assume everyone is so wrapped up in washing their new cars no-one has really popped the bonnet and had a listen - why would you its new nothing should go wrong . . . . . . . . . . . . . . !!!!

I was told when I picked it up that they don't need to see me until its 1st service date, yet I am sure someone wrote on here a while back their garage was doing curtosey 1,000 mile check ups - that would have been handy - I have checked the service book they give you and all I can find is a 1st service due 12 months or 12,500 miles

Mitch84 - I think I ave only recently become aware of the noise - has it been there since day 1 hmmm not sure doubt it, I used to tinker with cars so kinda guess I would have noticed it straight away so I think it is something that has crept up on me - Only had the car 4 months and its the first brand newwie I have ever had so not sure if you miss things in all the excitement of getting used to ya new car / gadgets etc so still wondering if this is normal or am I fretting about nothing - Will reply and let you know what I find out

Brent M - This is the reason I have held back so far (other than I struggle if I ain't got a car for a day or two) as I am not sure if this is what they all sound like - again lads in work say Fords are noisy (but they ain't no mechanics) - When is your first service due ??

I assume everyone is so wrapped up in washing their new cars no-one has really popped the bonnet and had a listen - why would you its new nothing should go wrong . . . . . . . . . . . . . . !!!!

I was told when I picked it up that they don't need to see me until its 1st service date, yet I am sure someone wrote on here a while back their garage was doing curtosey 1,000 mile check ups - that would have been handy - I have checked the service book they give you and all I can find is a 1st service due 12 months or 12,500 miles

My car went in at 12,500 miles afer 11 months they found nothing wrong. But I still have half a dozen niggly problems with it. I thought it would have gone in sooner too. ps hate the exhaust

If is a loud bang/click noise from the centre of the engine when idling (or driving if you have the window down) it might be the aircon, I had the same issue until i turned the aircon off - apparently its normal something to do with a magnetic part of the aircon system.

If its a gentle clicking/popping sound at random, I recently had my mk7 checked for this by my garage and they said its just the injectors, after some wearing-in they start to make light popping and clicking sounds when idling.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club