Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 Mondeo Rear Camera Wiring (To Light Cluster)

Ukduppy

20160905_143358431_iOS.jpg20160905_143014546_iOS.jpg20160905_143349952_iOS.jpg

Rear Camera instruction.jpg

light cluster wires with arrow.pdf

20160905_170328821_iOS.jpg

20160905_170342978_iOS.jpg

20160905_174436549_iOS.jpg

Hello,

I have a rear view camera (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DTTZQ0C/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I want to wire into the reversing lights of my Mondeo Mk3.

I currently have a front facing camera installed (clipped over the rear view mirror) and I want the rear view camera to automatically pop up when I select reverse gear.

The pictures I have added are (starting from the top); 

1- The two rear camera connectors, the phono jack goes directly into the front camera/screen unit and the black and red bi-wire is what is to be wired into the reversing lights.

2- The near side, rear, light cluster connector, wire termination points . As you face the car's rear it is on the left (passenger side) and located under a plastic panel. The left of the image is the top and each port is numbered 1-7 (I can't see how to rotate the image on this).

3- The rear camera

4-Manufacturer's installation instructions (generic, Chinese)

5-Link to pdf image, where I have added an arrow using a photo editor to indicate wire(s) I think I need to use. 

6-The near side, rear, light cluster connector, wire termination points (Front of ports). As you face the car's rear it is on the left. 

7-The near side, rear, light cluster connector, wire termination points (Back of ports). As you face the car's rear it is on the left. 

8-The connections I tried ; Red from the camera into 5 port and Black from the camera into 6 port. 

Ideally, I have just missed a thread/wiki/tutorial where someone has done this and someone can point me in the right direction. Failing that, has anybody already done this and can you tell me how you connected the wires?

So looking at other threads discussing the wire locations the red wire from the camera needs to be connected to the green and black wire (reverse left) in port 5 and the black wire needs to be connected to the black wire in port 6 (Earth).

I have tried jamming the exposed camera wire ends into the correct ports and then tested the camera. The rear camera showed up as PIP( picture in picture) being the smaller of the two images as a constant feed. When I put the car into reverse gear I expected the image feeds to invert showing me the rear camera feed as the main image and the forward facing image the smaller PIP, but there was no change and the image stayed as it was.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can configure this set-up so that when I go into reverse the smaller rear camera image turns into a full-screen image on the mirror with the front facing image taking up the smaller PIP?

***In the end, this method did work exactly as shown and described, maybe ram the exposed cable ends in instead of jamming them in. Held them in with sparky tape. Ran rear camera wire through door sills trunking down near side and up through pillar and across to top of mirror. I have mounted camera on inside of rear windscreen at the top in the centre of the brake light. Because of the angle of the glass on the boot I would say if your primary reason for install is as a reversing cam then you need to install camera outside the car, probably around the number plate somewhere as I can't really see any more than if I just look out the back window. Might change position later if I get time, not too fussed at the mo.***

Will leave this up in case anyone else wants the info.

Edited by Ukduppy
Solved problem myself
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I personally quite like PosiTap as they are the least damaging and most secure connections I have found, rather than vampire clips.

Glad you got it sorted though!

• 10 months later...

Hi i am having the same problem here i donk know where to put the wires ive got it in to my head unit no problem but unsure on 1.where to put the power wires 2. How to hook it up so it works when i put it in reverse 3. How to power the reg holder light

I got to fitting the cam running the wires to the back and got completely stuck in how to wire it up 

If you can send me pics on what ports to put them in or what wire they need to be attached it would be great :) 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club