Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange 'whirring'/'whining' when accelerating

shabbagaz

First off, I drive a 2011 Fiesta Zetec 1.4ltr automatic.  Never really had much problems with it (had it for 18 months) and I do very low mileage however a problem has cropped up.

For the past couple of days or so  I've noticed a strange 'whirring'/'whining' when I accelerate.  It's a bit hard to describe and sorry for sounding vague, but it just doesn't sound right at all.

The car still drives just fine but I'm just concerned about the strange sound.  My first thoughts are that it might be the transmission - I'm fearing the worst to be honest.

Sorry for the vagueness of it, but can anyone advise of what the problem is likely to be?

12 minutes ago, AndiDote said:

Does it sound like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIyGlMRLH8Q 

I had it on my focus so i know it was the wheel bearing. Once i got it fixed, it was quiet again and very peaceful lol.

No, mine seems 'calmer/quieter' than that... if that makes any sense.   Although going by posts on other forums I've read it could be the wheel bearing.

One other thing - I topped up my tyres the other night which I do every few weeks and noticed the right front tyre was down to 27 psi when it should've been 31 psi.  Can a worn out bearing have any effect in the tyre psi?  (did check to see if it could be a slow puncture but couldn't find anything).

Sorry for the questions, I'm really clueless!

Just got it back from the garage.

It was the water pump so that had to be replaced along with a new drive belt (yet the car has only done 28,685 miles - is this supposed to be normal?!)

Cost me a fair wedge - good job I manage my money well & also had a win on the Irish the other week.

2 hours ago, shabbagaz said:

Just got it back from the garage.

It was the water pump so that had to be replaced along with a new drive belt (yet the car has only done 28,685 miles - is this supposed to be normal?!)

Cost me a fair wedge - good job I manage my money well & also had a win on the Irish the other week.

Water pumps usually get swapped out at a cambelt change, they shouldn't really fail at such low mileage - are the tensioners ok as well?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club