Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2.0 tdci power steering pump

Hanamac

I was hoping someone might be able to advise me - sorry this is a bit of a long story - had this ongoing issue for nearly 2 years now and feel like Im just throwing money away but I can't afford a new car right now. I actually love my car - if it wasn't for this problem.  

It started with a warning light for eps and abs which came on intermittently for a while with the traction light then my power steering failed in a multi-storey car park (No way I could drive it in there with no ps) and I was told by roadside recovery that it was an electrical fault. Took it to garage recommended by recovery guy. The garage said I needed a new power steering pump and it would cost about £500-£700 - after cursing a bit I decided to get it done. I know it sounds sexist but I felt a bit vulnerable as a female dealing with this particular garage on my own. Then they called and said while changing the pump they found shards of metal because I needed a steering rack. They said the rack had damaged the pump because it was old and it would happen to the new pump if I didn't change that too. I felt backed into a corner as I was already committed to the pump so I agreed. The total bill was £1100. 

After a few days I took it back because rack was misaligned - it over steered - they fixed it but had to take it back again - then they said it needed replacing so ordered another rack - after they changed it I still found it didn't feel right. Took it back again and they got their insurance company and manufacturer out who said there was nothing wrong with it. They said it was the hydrolics I could hear/feel. I didn't feel comfortable going back there so just gave up. The power steering then worked fine for about 6 months then failed about once a month for a few months. Each time I called rescue - it was working again by the time they arrived. (My premium tripled got some reason!) 

Finally about a month ago it stopped working completely. Took it to a garage I trust and he found that the plug on the pump was all gunky and not on properly. He cleaned it and replaced it and it worked fine until yesterday - I don't know if relevant but I parallel parked into a tiny space and when I came back it was gone again. I reattached the plug again and got the fault cleared. Fault said temporarily lost connection with power assisted steering. Power steering working again for now. 

Does anyone have any ideas about what I should do? I want it fixed permanently. I've literally spent about £3000 in two years on it. 

Sorry for long post! 

Thanks. 

22 hours ago, Hanamac said:

It started with a warning light for eps and abs which came on intermittently for a while with the traction light then my power steering failed in a multi-storey car park (No way I could drive it in there with no ps) and I was told by roadside recovery that it was an electrical fault.

That sounds accurate and consistent.

22 hours ago, Hanamac said:

They said the rack had damaged the pump because it was old

That sounds very much like Bull Dung.

23 hours ago, Hanamac said:

the plug on the pump was all gunky and not on properly. He cleaned it and replaced it and it worked fine until yesterday - I don't know if relevant but I parallel parked into a tiny space and when I came back it was gone again. I reattached the plug again and got the fault cleared. Fault said temporarily lost connection with power assisted steering. Power steering working again for now. 

Back to the first story of an intermittent electrical fault.

If the garage has replaced the pump, then it should have shiny new pins, though possibly damaged now by the dirt their bad workmanship allowed in. That suggests the problem is in the connector on the wiring. I am not sure if that connector is available separately, I recall iantt (who worked for a Ford garage at the time), said dealers may have a stock of some spare connectors. If a new or decent used connector can not be obtained, then part of the wiring loom with that connector may have to be renewed. (I rather doubt if the existing connector could be dismantled to check & tighten up the sockets inside it, but it could be worth asking this).

Cleaning and spraying with contact cleaner may have a temporary effect, and would help to confirm the location of the problem.

I would say you have a valid claim against the 1st garage. They ignored the symptoms and diagnostics, did work that did not cure the problem, messed it up, and may have made matters worse. That is my opinion based on what you have said, but whether that could be made to stand up as a claim, I do not know.

Hello there,

omg 😱 This is not good,and needs sorted as you say but you shouldn't have to pay for any other work to be carried out.

sounds like the first garage haven't done job right,if did then car would be driving perfect straight away.

next steps for you I would see legal advice against the first garage who done steering rack ect.

you could also book car into a ford dealer explain the situation and get them to check car for you see if is new parts put in or not.

if not then you got a case against the first garage and also get them to reinburst you the cost you paid to ford & other garage.

best of luck & please let us know how you got on.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club