Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it difficult for a novice to replace fuel injectors ?

Fastlife91

Somebody I know is considering replacing fuel injectors because he suspects at least one of them is faulty, the car is a 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 tdci.

He has replaced

. brakes pads

brake discs

steering arms

track rod ends

CV joint gaiter

wheel bearings

thermostat

glow plugs

car radiator 

and some other littleish things.

He is planning on having a go at replacing a fuel injector or injectors but he knows basically nothing about a vehicles fuel system, do you think he will be okay at attempting this ?

thanks 

I'd say from the car he drives and the bits he's replaced, his name is Mark lol 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Gee, really!? :huh:

31 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Talking about yourself in third person now, eh?

After starting the car from overnight it takes longer to start, followed by lots of smoke and the car shakes/pulsates slightly when pressing the gas. after about a minute from initial start up the smoke goes away and the car drives perfect all day and night.

I have replaced the glow plugs and the GP relay is illuminating on the dashboard only when the engine is cold.

there are no error codes on the dashboard and no smoke after the initial start up 

When I first got the car 2 years ago the injectors were leaking, replaced a seal on one of them and put a cable tie around each going to the leak off pipe, no leaks since and that was 18 months ago. car chugs at idle occasionally but goes away when it reaches op temp but has made this noise since I got the car almost 2 years ago and does not affect performance but have never found out the cause of the noise, it goes away when I bring the clutch up. 

any ideas ?

28 minutes ago, stef123 said:

After starting the car from overnight it takes longer to start, followed by lots of smoke and the car shakes/pulsates slightly when pressing the gas. after about a minute from initial start up the smoke goes away and the car drives perfect all day and night.

I have replaced the glow plugs and the GP relay is illuminating on the dashboard only when the engine is cold.

there are no error codes on the dashboard and no smoke after the initial start up 

When I first got the car 2 years ago the injectors were leaking, replaced a seal on one of them and put a cable tie around each going to the leak off pipe, no leaks since and that was 18 months ago. car chugs at idle occasionally but goes away when it reaches op temp but has made this noise since I got the car almost 2 years ago and does not affect performance but have never found out the cause of the noise, it goes away when I bring the clutch up. 

3 hours ago, Fastlife91 said:

replacing a fuel injector or injectors but he knows basically nothing about a vehicles fuel system,

In principle it should be quite easy, but you need to find out about details like tightening torques and cleanliness procedures first.

TDCI fuel systems run at up to 1500Bar, or 22,000 PSI. This is a truly massive pressure, and must be taken seriously.

The injectors have tiny metering orifices, and metal valve seats, so are easily damaged by even tiny, invisible specks of dirt or swarf.

The metal High Pressure pipes use high integrity metal to metal seals. They are designed for one time use, and Ford recommend new pipes, although I am sure many people re-use the pipes and get away with it ok. If the fittings are over-tightened, they may fracture under the high pressure, if under-tightened, they may leak.

Otherwise than that, it should be no harder than replacing glowplugs, but rather more expensive if it does go wrong.

20 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

In principle it should be quite easy, but you need to find out about details like tightening torques and cleanliness procedures first.

TDCI fuel systems run at up to 1500Bar, or 22,000 PSI. This is a truly massive pressure, and must be taken seriously.

The injectors have tiny metering orifices, and metal valve seats, so are easily damaged by even tiny, invisible specks of dirt or swarf.

The metal High Pressure pipes use high integrity metal to metal seals. They are designed for one time use, and Ford recommend new pipes, although I am sure many people re-use the pipes and get away with it ok. If the fittings are over-tightened, they may fracture under the high pressure, if under-tightened, they may leak.

Otherwise than that, it should be no harder than replacing glowplugs, but rather more expensive if it does go wrong.

well I know little about a car's fuel system

do you simply use a socket to remove injectors such as one does to replace glow plugs or must the fuel rail be de-pressurised or something first and if so, how ? 

Do the metal fuel pipes have to come off to replace injectors ?

The thing I'm most worried about, does the fuel have to be bled afterwards ?  really worried because last time  the fuel system was bled ( fuel pipe came off allowing air in) it took my friend about a week to start it and he used loads of easy start.  how does one bleed a fuel system ?

I noticed today, on 2 of the glow plugs I fitted that at the top where you tighten the screw on to the top of the injector where the glow plugs wire ties onto that the top was loose where I over tightened the glow plug wire, it even came off when I took the plug out so as I have a few glow plugs in my drawer (not sure of the condition of them ) so I'll have a better idea in the morning if this has helped. do you think the glow plugs like that may have been a problem ?

thanks 

2 hours ago, Fastlife91 said:

do you think the glow plugs like that may have been a problem ?

The symptoms described, of rough running when cold, but ok when hot, are more likely, in my opinion, to be glowplugs than injectors.

If any injectors are changed, there is no need at all to bleed the high pressure pipes. This part of the system is self priming. The procedure is the same as when changing a fuel filter. If difficult to start, use a priming bulb to push fuel into the fuel filter.

I can not give accurate advice on the actual removal & re-fitting of injectors, I have not done it. Haynes is a good source of information. It is not perfect, but is more reliable than many YouTube videos.

BTW: If you were a little more generous in thanking or recognising when people tried to help, you might get a bit less stick from the other regular contributors, and a little more help, maybe. Just a thought.

On 12/22/2016 at 8:14 PM, Fastlife91 said:

Somebody I know.............

........the car is a 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 tdci.

wow , what are the chances that this other person has the same car as you !

lol , you really set yourself up for a ripping with this song and dance , easier to just ask for help as a non mechanic from the get-go.

;-)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club