Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK6 1.4 TDCi questions.

Locomotive

Hey guys! This is my first post here so let me greet everyone first! ^^

Now, I am coming with some questions about my Fiesta on which I couldn't find any answers in my country and I thought some of you might help me. I currently have a 2004 Fiesta 1.4 TDCi which is mostly stock. I blanked the EGR (which was stuck open) and that's about it. The car is currently approaching 200,000 miles and it still works, but it does have some problems. I do have a FoCom scanner but it only gives me 2 errors (the glow-plugs are bust and the EGR valve is stuck). 

Now, my questions.

1. The engine has some blow-by when you open the oil cap. However, it doesn't have any when you pull the dipstick out. Is this normal? The engine uses around 200ml of oil between 6,000 miles oil changes (Motul 5W30). There is some blue smoke when first starting the car but it goes away in ~2 seconds. Also, there seems to be some blue-smoke when revving it past 4,300 rpm and letting the accelerator go. In between though it is as clean as it can be.

2. When it starts it is not as smooth as it should. The rpm will vary greatly and it will only settle after ~10 seconds. The timing belt was changed some time ago but could it be the culprit?

3. Is there any way to change the pistons and the cylinder liners? (is there any company selling a short block or is there any way to rebuild the engine?)

That's about it for now. Thanks a lot!

15 hours ago, Locomotive said:

When it starts it is not as smooth as it should. The rpm will vary greatly and it will only settle after ~10 seconds.

I think duff glowplugs are more likely.

The common rail diesels will start without them, but may run rough until the combustion chamber heats up a bit. The plugs stay hot after starting to assist early fuel vaporisation & ignition.

Your oil consumption sounds pretty good to me for the mileage. I think my 1.8 uses a bit more than that, at 157k miles.

The best way to check blow-by is via the crankcase breather hose. Disconnect it, plug the end going to the intake pipe, put you hand over the end going to the crankcase, and see how quickly it builds up a little bit of pressure, and how much of a whoosh there is on release. I find the oil filler hole gives false results as a lot of air goes in & out, it can feel like quite a lot coming out when it is just oscillating. And the crankcase breather system will affect the results, if not plugged.

• Like 1

Sounds like the valve stem seals are leaking. Given the mileage and age of the car how much money do you want to spend?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and help guys. Well, I was considering getting a new engine (a 1.6 TDCi swap as it is legal and not that hard to do) which would cost me around ~ 1,200 with everything included. I would not mind keeping this engine either if it can be repaired and would cost less than the swap (around 500 to 800 euro would be perfect). I looked for genuine Ford parts and it seems they are only selling a short-block and that would be a bit too much. 

Also, I don't mind investing in the car as I already put in it a ton of money and it is as solid as a rock (the engine being the exception). ^^

12 hours ago, Locomotive said:

Thanks for the replies and help guys. Well, I was considering getting a new engine (a 1.6 TDCi swap as it is legal and not that hard to do) which would cost me around ~ 1,200 with everything included. I would not mind keeping this engine either if it can be repaired and would cost less than the swap (around 500 to 800 euro would be perfect). I looked for genuine Ford parts and it seems they are only selling a short-block and that would be a bit too much. 

Also, I don't mind investing in the car as I already put in it a ton of money and it is as solid as a rock (the engine being the exception). ^^

Stay away from the DV6 engine.

1 hour ago, m1tch said:

Stay away from the DV6 engine.

Is it that problematic? From what I've read it seemed to be just a larger DV4 (the 90 to 95 horsepower version not the 109hp one which has the electronically controlled turbocharger).

1 hour ago, Locomotive said:

Is it that problematic?

I think what David (m1tch) meant was that he regards the DV6 as a complex & unreliable unit. The 16 valve DV6 has a rather poor reputation. Frequent (<6k miles) oil changes are recommended to prevent carbon build-up, and the DPF system is complex and hard to fathom out what it is doing.

Also, will the pcm (ECU) be included in the list of everything included? If the pcm is changed, this may have a knock on effect on other modules in the car, like ABS & Instrument Cluster. Sadly, changing engines in these electronic cars is not the straightforward mechanical challenge that it used to be.

You might be able to get similar results by either getting your DV4 up to good condition, or finding a lower mileage compatible DV4, then have a good remap done. Some of these remaps do seem to deliver good results of more power and also better economy, though I do not know if this applies to the DV4.

The 1.4 TDCi remaps well, i've not done it myself but I know there is quite a bit of headroom there, I have just got an induction kit on mine and removed the restrictive air filter box and its improved no end and that's on stock mapping.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Also, will the pcm (ECU) be included in the list of everything included? If the pcm is changed, this may have a knock on effect on other modules in the car, like ABS & Instrument Cluster. Sadly, changing engines in these electronic cars is not the straightforward mechanical challenge that it used to be.

The ECU would be part of the deal, yes. Basically I'm getting a wrecked Fiesta 1.6 TDCi (one with rear end damage) for cheap and the do what can be done by myself. If I won't do the swap then I'll probably end up fixing this engine somehow (i wanted the swap because I was thinking at roughly 140horsepower which would be enough). The car is also ready to take the swap (I have Bilstein B6 shocks with Eibach -30mm lowering springs, poly bushes front and back, got the ZetecS interior and I would only need a bigger brake kit, likely the one from the FocusST170). If I'll stick with the 1.4 liter engine then I want at least 110 horsepower which would be mostly sufficient. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club