Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unknown liquid in the joints

M Lam

Dear All

I just noticed some unknown liquid in the joint as photos attached. Anyone know what is that? Is this something serious?

Thanks

DSC_0270.JPG

DSC_0272.JPG

Looks like the gater has a split at the driveshaft end(1st photo) and has thrown some grease up. Hence the little mound on the arm and the dark patch on the ball joint underneath.

I'd agree? Just replace the inner and outer on mine, there was a lot more mess than yours though

32 minutes ago, Russ said:

Looks like the gater has a split at the driveshaft end(1st photo) and has thrown some grease up. Hence the little mound on the arm and the dark patch on the ball joint underneath.

My last month MOT got advisory note as below:

- Nearside front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated

- Nearside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated

Could the above issue become serious caused it thrown some grease? Does it mean I need to fix this as soon as possible? Sorry for asking so many question as I just beginner and feel a bit worry

Yep you need to get it sorted ASAP otherwise the joints will seize up/wear. The fact the grease has been thrown out means new gaters and refill with grease. The longer you leave the joints unlubricated and the gaters split the more chance you will let dust and road debris into the joints.

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

Yep you need to get it sorted ASAP otherwise the joints will seize up/wear. The fact the grease has been thrown out means new gaters and refill with grease. The longer you leave the joints unlubricated and the gaters split the more chance you will let dust and road debris into the joints.

Thanks Russ. I will sorted it out ASAP

• Like 1

it's good you spotted it now. if not the split would probably have got worse and let in loads of dirt/water and ruined the CV joint itself. 

Alas, fitting a new one is not a 5 minute job and the labour is much more than the part.

Unless you go for one of these which do not need the drive shaft disconnecting to fit it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easy-Fit-System-New-Universal-Split-Driveshaft-CV-Joint-Boot-Gaiter-Kit-x-1-/191761038306?hash=item2ca5d93be2:g:tKQAAOSw3KFWcW~9

most people would say these split gaiters (which you glue the side up on) are bodging it

• Like 2

On 10/04/2017 at 10:11 PM, isetta said:

it's good you spotted it now. if not the split would probably have got worse and let in loads of dirt/water and ruined the CV joint itself. 

Alas, fitting a new one is not a 5 minute job and the labour is much more than the part.

Unless you go for one of these which do not need the drive shaft disconnecting to fit it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easy-Fit-System-New-Universal-Split-Driveshaft-CV-Joint-Boot-Gaiter-Kit-x-1-/191761038306?hash=item2ca5d93be2:g:tKQAAOSw3KFWcW~9

most people would say these split gaiters (which you glue the side up on) are bodging it

I should listen to you that using the easy fit split driveshaft CV joint boot gaiter kit instead get the workshop to fix it. Guess what, they complained my CV Joint hard to remove and use easy fit split instead of the normal gaiter. 

I found some grease on the new CV gaiter and some pictures attached. Do you think that is my front shock absorber leaking?

I can't differential the grease is the old grease from CV joint or from strut. Any chance this is leaking from front strut?

Untitled.jpg

DSC_0277.JPG

DSC_0279.JPG

doesn't look like it is from front strut, that would be more like oil not grease. it's probably just where they had been a bit messy in the fitting the new part and got some of the grease from the cv joint on it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, isetta said:

doesn't look like it is from front strut, that would be more like oil not grease. it's probably just where they had been a bit messy in the fitting the new part and got some of the grease from the cv joint on it. 

Thanks.

I just cleaned it with degreaser spray yesterday and I just checked it today. I can't see any leaking, you are right. This is grease from CV joint :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club