Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roof Rack Help!

Jonny87

Hi all,

Its been ages since I last posted on the forum, so hi to anybody still here from 2009-2010.

Need some help.  I am looking to get the fiesta roof rack for the mk7 (the original Ford made one that bolts on - not the thule made one that clamps the door frame) and I want to buy a thule roof box to put on it.  The thing is I don't want a box that's too long and will foul/impact the boot/rear spoiler when the boot lid is opened.

Question I have is:

1. Is there anyone out there who can tell me what boxes I can fit to these bars that wont affect the boot opening fully

...or...

2. Can somebody who has these bars fitted to their car tell me how much clearance/distance there is between the rear roof bar and the open boot lid (preferably a car with the larger spoiler on it).  As thule provide all the dimension details for their boxes and I can work the rest out myself

Many thanks to anybody that can help!

And to anybody who is interested, I still have my 09 fiesta titanium from new, now at about 135,000 miles and only one major issue so far (HEGO sensor)

Given where the hinge point for the boot lid is surely it's going to miles away from the rear bar position no matter what? [Edit: Ah, I see what you mean now - it's not that you think the rear bar will foul the boot lid but rather that if you know where it sits you can work out the relative position of the boxes you're looking at).

For what it's worth, on my roof bar setup (not on a Fiesta) my bike racks fouled the boot when fully open however I never found this to be an issue - I just made sure I didn't open it all the way or, if I did and was feeling lazy, just let is gently rest against them.

Also note, perhaps more for others comparing roof bar options, that if my understanding is correct the reason that the thule model clamps on is because Ford changed the mounting point design on the Fiesta for the Mk 7.5 (possibly some late-model Mk 7's too?). I say 'changed' but what they appear to have done is removed the bolt holes entirely, most likely due to water ingress resulting from having to remove the sealant to fit the feet bolts. With this in mind it might be worth double-checking exactly what you've got just in case you end up with the wrong type if you don't already know?

I can't help with the questions you asked but have you done any research? When I was looking for a roof rack solution for my 09 fiesta I read some horror stories about leaking roofs following the figment of the ford roof rack- I bought the thule one in the end

17 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Given where the hinge point for the boot lid is surely it's going to miles away from the rear bar position no matter what? [Edit: Ah, I see what you mean now - it's not that you think the rear bar will foul the boot lid but rather that if you know where it sits you can work out the relative position of the boxes you're looking at).

For what it's worth, on my roof bar setup (not on a Fiesta) my bike racks fouled the boot when fully open however I never found this to be an issue - I just made sure I didn't open it all the way or, if I did and was feeling lazy, just let is gently rest against them.

Also note, perhaps more for others comparing roof bar options, that if my understanding is correct the reason that the Thule model clamps on is because Ford changed the mounting point design on the Fiesta for the Mk 7.5 (possibly some late-model Mk 7's too?). I say 'changed' but what they appear to have done is removed the bolt holes entirely, most likely due to water ingress resulting from having to remove the sealant to fit the feet bolts. With this in mind it might be worth double-checking exactly what you've got just in case you end up with the wrong type if you don't already know?

Hi MJ,  Thanks for your reply.  You are correct that it is not the bar I am worried about but rather buying a box that will foul the rear spoiler when the boot is opened.  I also don't want to have to worry about opening the boot gently as any passenger could open the boot and not remember to be gentle and I'd worry that could potentially cause damage / cracking to the spoiler to occur.  The rack mounts were installed up until May 2013 I think so they will definitely be on the 2009 model.  I have heard of the water ingress issues but I am sure I can avoid this with common sense, a bit of time, and maybe some silicone sealant and possibly some lithium grease or similar.

17 hours ago, Lewie226 said:

I can't help with the questions you asked but have you done any research? When I was looking for a roof rack solution for my 09 fiesta I read some horror stories about leaking roofs following the figment of the ford roof rack- I bought the Thule one in the end

Hi Lewie,  I have looked everywhere for the information I'm after but I cant find it.  I have found pics online and after making some rough calculations scaling them to my own car I reckon the front bar is around 1200mm from the open boot, the rear bar is around 400mm from the open boot and the bars have roughly 700mm centres.

Price considerations mean I am looking at Thule's cheaper range of boxes - the "Touring" series.  There are 5 boxes in the series.  three can be discounted for being too long, too narrow (I want minimum 600mm wide), or both (600-Sport, 700-Alpine, 780-L)  Leaving me with two options, either the smallest one or the next one up (100-S or 200-M).  Based on my guesses above I believe that I should be able to squeeze the 200-m on without it fouling the boot lid when open (I hope I am right). 

There are a few reasons why I am not considering the thule bars:  The 09 fiesta has a specific mounting system and a specific rack specifically for the car.  Why choose something different?  The Ford system is cheaper I am sure (just picked up a new one for under £100, either system will likely become redundant if I get a new car anyway).  Ford system looks better.  I have a 3 door fiesta so there are no rear doors frames to fix the rear bar to.  I don't really like the way it clamps onto the door frame anyway.  The clamps seem to foul the door seal.  I don't like Thule's solution for three door cars (see Pic below), looks like a bodge with both clamps on the front door and the rear bar just resting on top of the roof.  I have also heard stories about this design coming loose!

Once I have all the bits I will update this thread with the confirmed detail

thule system:

130529_FiestaZube_13888c_041.jpg

Ford System:

3_FIE_28636_L_29765_POS_RGB_041.jpg

Both images from: http://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/fiesta/2012/transportation/roof-transportation?intcmp=other:acc:pdp:prod-list-view::select-product-group#

Ford System:

$_86.JPG

above image from: https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replacement-parts/ford-fiesta-mk7-roof-bars-roof-rack/1187153065

thule Touring 200-M Box:

445011_sized_640x420.jpg

More information here: https://cdn1.static-tgdp.com/assetloader.axd?pimid=634201&id=562710&brand=Thule&market=GB (link to manual download)

Web page: https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/cargo-carrier/car-top-carrier/thule-touring-m-_-634200.

• Like 1

I've got the thule 'short roof adapter' type on my Hyundai Coupe (also a 3 door) and whilst I am absolutely confident with the safety and security of it I don't blame you for wanting to use the built-in bolt points if available. Aside from anything else it'd be far easier/quicker to install and remove!

I've got a Cruz set, haven't used them yet but i'm planning on testing them on Monday, i'll try and take some pics. Thats on a 7.5 Fiesta, not sure if its the same or not?

The ford set do look 'cleaner' but I'd not want a puddle in the boot 

• Like 1

do the ford ones fit on the facelift?

edit. nvm, pre face only, grr. the triple bar setup for the 3 door facelift is far too expensive

• Like 1

11 hours ago, supraking said:

do the ford ones fit on the facelift?

edit. nvm, pre face only, grr. the triple bar setup for the 3 door facelift is far too expensive

You need to buy shroodly- you'll need the short bars, some 750 or 754 feet the bars (120cm I think) and the foot pack

i picked up a set of Nissan juke bars for £20 - there yielded the correct bars and feet, I already had the short bars from my Ka and I won a for pack for £15

look and buying the 'wrong' bars to get the right bars- if that makes sense- you can then sell on the parts you don't want

im pretty sure auction 272623761587

will give you everything you need except the correct foot pack

Comparison of the 2 lots of components can be found here http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/roofbars/thule_rapid_system_gutterless_feet_4_no_754_/Qx%40w%2C6M4gNax5vN1Yv0vegd3uH%40xKD`I~BjZ5itJTE5%40G%2CqCbl%40ehqNofUEziA6}

just ask the seller if you can arrange a courier (£10)

there are plenty of the short roof packs on eBay from £15

you can go longer on your roof bars if you wish I went for 128cm bars as they were cheaper than the 'correct' bars just make sure they don't extend beyond your wing mirrors also with longer bars you can fit more stuff on the roof if the need ever arise

If its of any interest, these are the Cruz bars fitted. Can't say I like the way they fit over the roof into the door.

IMG-20170417-WA0000.jpg

• Like 1

That looks good! With you mentioning Cruz, were they from roofbox.co.uk? (I've used them a few times in the past and they seem to be the main importer for a few brands and I think Cruz may be one of them?)

What box have you got?

They're ok, just don't like the fitting. would rather it used the gully. They feel pretty sturdy though. Had the bars a few years hence I bought the fiesta fittings (yes from roofbox.co.uk)

The roofbox was this one from Micks Garage, its not top grade but great for the cost.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0147BB3G2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got the thurl bars myself but if I was buying a whole new kit from scratch I'd go with the Cruze as they can take a lot more weight 

That's a good spot - I was planning moving my thule bars from my Hyundai Coupe to the Fiesta which requires just a swap of the rubber feet, presumably to cater for the slightly difference in roof contour. In doing so however the maximum load (including bars) is decreasing from 65kg to 40kg! The Cruz bars do seem a bit better in that respect at 50kg using the same setup yet only a fraction of the price!

At £30 for the new rubber feet maybe I'm better off just paying a bit extra and buying the Cruz bars!

Yes, I'm going to hold out for a used set as they do seem to crop up for around that price.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/04/2017 at 1:26 PM, Jonny87 said:

Need some help.  I am looking to get the fiesta roof rack for the mk7 [...]

Hi Jonny; I've been wondering how you got with your search? I am considering getting a roof box at some point in the not-too-distant future and wondered if your search had concluded with a purchase?

• 1 month later...

So just as a bit of an update on my roof bars, I accidentally overtightened the Cruz ones and now subsequently have dents in the roof. Spoke to roofbox.co.uk and they were great, sorted me out with a thule set. They come with a gauge to tell you when to stop tightening. Will get them on the car soon hopefully.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 4/17/2017 at 7:21 PM, Banana Co said:

If its of any interest, these are the Cruz bars fitted. Can't say I like the way they fit over the roof into the door.

IMG-20170417-WA0000.jpg

Hi, did you have room to clap a snowboard next to this box?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club