Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear spring replace

F0CUE

Hi, I was busy cleaning up my drums today and spotted one of my springs has snapped :( How hard is fitting on a scale of 1-10? It looks like a matter of compressors in and out 

The rear springs can be compressed and taken out without removal of other suspension components. You only need the correct type of spring compressor because of the limited space between the suspension.

Sir Tools Portable Strut Master Strut Compressor SIRST9050

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor spring compressor

If the suspension bolts are not seized it is even easier. In this case the springs can even be changed without the need of a spring compressor. You basically only need some spanners a jack and some axle stands.

• Like 1

Thanks and is it best to replace in pairs or would one be OK?

• Like 1

Personally I always change springs in pairs. 

• Like 3

Mine is also broken but it is broken at a very low point so I decided to just leave it.

• Like 1

If anyone uses the car with a piece broken off the end of a spring (a piece broken off and missing) they need to jack the car up under the body (not the suspension arm) so the suspension arm is hanging right down at the end of its travel and then check the spring is secure and can not come out of place. 

you do not  want to do a bit of a lift off over a hump back bridge one day and the spring comes out of place when doing this.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

you don't need a spring compressor

simply take wheel off

undo the shock mount you mite wanna undo the anti roll bar struts on both sides(make replace them as there usually a bugger to get off without an angle grinder) there cheap enough eBay

and drop the radius arm right down and away you go

Have you ever tried removing the bolts on the rear subframe? Nightmare! 

Here’s how I do them.

A0F53661-E1DD-4AAF-9A56-8E18220FFFD3.jpeg

F54CAD03-B91A-4FDB-86EE-64CC2B74B9A0.jpeg

26 minutes ago, jedisid focus said:

you don't need a spring compressor

simply take wheel off

undo the shock mount you mite wanna undo the anti roll bar struts on both sides(make replace them as there usually a bugger to get off without an angle grinder) there cheap enough ebay

and drop the radius arm right down and away you go

That method only works if none of the suspension bolts are seized which is definetely not the case on most older vehicles.

When lowering an older vehicle a decent set of spring compressors is definetely the way to go.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JW1982 said:

That method only works if none of the suspension bolts are seized which is definetely not the case on most older vehicles.

When lowering an older vehicle a decent set of spring compressors is definetely the way to go.

I have yet to find a focus where the bolts concerned can actually be removed! lol. 

• Like 3

I used the method mentioned above to lower the Focus MK3 i currently have. At the time I lowered the car it was just 2 Years old and none of the suspension bolts were seized. To prevent the bolts from seizing in the future I removed all bolts and reinstalled them with ceramic grease. All bolt heads and exposed threads are coated with a 2-components polyurethane coating.

I suspect that my suspension bolts will not seize for the next 10 Years.

I got mines done ages ago a mobile mechanic done it outside in the rain in less than an hour. This thread came back from nowhere lol I didn't see him using compressors tho.

Not sure if this guy is on here but I saw this vid a while back...easiest way to change rear springs...not the safest way though. :laugh: 

I’m more concerned about what his pointless setup with the whip hose on the impact gun is all about lol. 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club