Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice

Leeselwyn

Hi all

first post here, I've got the feeling I have been done over and need some advice, I bought a 2009 mondeo diesel estate just under 4 weeks ago, have had problems with smoking under load and also whilst in cruise control on motorway, spoke to garage a bought it from who told me to take it to a local garage which I did today.

anyway, get the feedback from garage that the DMF is missing and they say this is causing the smoke, something to do with it being re-mapped? And it should never of passed an MOT like it. (I bought car with a brand new MOT).

i have read online about this DMF, is it illegal not too have 1? Is this what is causing the smokey car? 

Are you talking about the DMF or DPF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 26/06/2017 at 8:47 PM, Leeselwyn said:

is it illegal not too have 1? Is this what is causing the smokey car? 

I will assume it is the DPF. Dual Mass Flywheel is less likely to cause smoke!

It is only illegal if the car originally had one. If you have the 1.8TDCI engine, this never has one, as far as I know.

The 2L may have one, but the Ford ETIS system can be used to check for the original vehicle spec.

The MoT test nominally checks for a DPF, but they are very restricted in what they can do, and if it all looks externally ok, and passes the rather basic MoT smoke test, then it will pass.

If removal of the DPF is obvious (at least to an MoT inspector), then it would seem the car has a dodgy MoT, and could be grounds for a money back return, as not being as described or fit for purpose.

I will assume it is the DPF. Dual Mass Flywheel is less likely to cause smoke!
It is only illegal if the car originally had one. If you have the 1.8TDCI engine, this never has one, as far as I know.
The 2L may have one, but the Ford ETIS system can be used to check for the original vehicle spec.
The MoT test nominally checks for a DPF, but they are very restricted in what they can do, and if it all looks externally ok, and passes the rather basic MoT smoke test, then it will pass.
If removal of the DPF is obvious (at least to an MoT inspector), then it would seem the car has a dodgy MoT, and could be grounds for a money back return, as not being as described or fit for purpose.

I had my doubts that it was the DMF, wouldn't the car judder and shake under acceleration? From my very limited knowledge I thought given the symptoms and reason for removal (remap) I took a stab at it being the DPF. I'm doing a lot of learning on the forum, a lots from you and also @Lenny [emoji16]

• Like 1

Absence of DPF won't cause excessive smoking.  The particulates it handles are microscopic, far too small for the naked eye.

I'm sure removing the DPF will cause a little smoke visible to the eye, maybe not as much as the OP is experiencing.

Was the remap programmed with a DPF delete? Has the EGR valve been blanked and if not has it been cleaned? The valve can get pretty 'sooty' and if you have a heavy right foot could be the cause??

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club