Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP Sierra 1992 2.0i dohc

grahambute

I have problems with my Sierra dohc. Really need to be introduced to a mechanic in SE London (Blackheath/Greenwich preferred) that can help diagnose and cure. All my past experience was with cars with carburettors, out of my depth with fuel injection , computer control etc etc.

Since the problem started I have renewed distributor cap, all ht leads, and all spark plugs. The problem is that it is misfiring, on tickover the exhaust smells very rich and the brand new plugs sooted up after less than a mile of driving. If I hold the throttle at less than 1/8th open the revs build but as soon as I press further it starts "hunting", no difference whether stationary or driving. I have had a local garage who are classic friendly have a look but they are unable to help isolate the problem, same story with a local more modern garage.

I really need somebody with experience of dohc Fords to diagnose. Professional or amateur I do not mind, just somebody who can help.

1992 car been in my family since new, 73000 miles. Attached photo purely for attention.

20160221_135640.jpg

My mate had a Sapphire 2.0 GLS and had a problem with the MAF. Not entirely sure what the symptoms were but the car was fine after it was replaced.

This was back in the late 90's though, his car was a 1990 G reg.

Edited by Frembrit

• 3 months later...

I worked on cars of similar vintage, several times I found a faulty temperature sender was telling the computer the engine was as cold as it could be, so it would set the enrichment full on, flooding the engine and diluting the oil.

Roger.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club