Do Not Sell My Personal Information

08 diesel - very rough idle!

ChrisMcK

Hey,

Could anyone suggest what the problem might be with my 08 Diesel engine - it is very rough at idle! I’ve blanked the egr valve to eliminate that as a problem but still is incredibly rough - it also brings up the ‘engine system fault’ message when it’s cold but seems ok once the engine has warmed up! - hoping someone might have some idea of the issue? A ford garage suggested it was the egr valve but that’s obviously not the issue! 

Thanks in advance 

Hi chris, had same symotoms before and it turned out to be an injector problem. Is it smokey at all ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hey,

Did you need to replace an injector(s)?! Yeah it smokes a fair bit (white smoke) on initial start up but not whilst running. Thanks for replying.

White smoke is definetly fuel related. Id replace fuel filter first incase its clogged . If that doesnt work get a mechanic to bench test your injectors. Thats only definite way of ruling them out. I replaced mine with reconditioned ones , new ones are pricey.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You might want to keep the egr handy if it's just full of crap but is still serviceable. These new MOT changes might screw you over when they come in force during May this year.

Does it run lumpy after a few seconds on starting it? Does it smoke white smoke? Does it go back to normal after being driven for a few minutes?

On my mk6.5 fiesta 1.6 tdci from the day after getting it it would puff out white smoke for a few seconds and run lumpy when started after being left for over 2 hours. It would start perfectly if you started not long after it had a good run. You could try a diesel leak off test to check the injectors. Could also try changing the glow plugs as I did this first when I saw these symptoms. In the end I just got them all reconditioned. After that it starts up perfectly. Only thing I'd say is that I heard recently that its good to get genuine new or used low mileage injectors as refurb companies most likely may not use genuine parts. 

constantly lumpy now, seems to be really bad in the cold weather! and yes white smoke is being produced more often - it used to go away after the engine warmed up and everything would be super smooth, but now the effect happens constantly plus the added inclusion of the warning on the dashboard! 

I'm going  to try a leak off test and new glow plugs - if its still lumpy then I guess I should get some to do a diagnostics test!

Good point on keeping the EGR valve for new MOT stuff!! thanks for that! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few errors then!

wondering if I have an electrical problem!

if anyone can shed any light on what they might think the combination of errors in the attached document might be that would be great!

thanks again

Tests_2018-02-17_210323.txt

• 3 years later...

Hi I have a the same issue my 08 1.6tdci focus has a irregular idle I’ve changed fuel filter and it’s been serviced does anyone know what else I could check and I’ve got no engine management light and no codes come up 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club