Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange message coming up

DavyTee

Hi folks new member and new to Fords.

I have a mk7 Fiesta Ecoboost Titanium just picked it up a few hours ago. When I turn on the ignition a message comes up on the centre panel saying Emergency Assistance On 

Any ideas what this is or how to turn off.

Thanks in advance 

Tis ok I've sorted it :smile:

Was something to do with the bluetooth being on and will call emergency services in the event of a crash or something like that.

Hi Davy,

Spot on with that. All it means is that if you crash, and a mobile device is connected. , it will dial 999 for you. The message pops up every time you start the car just to confirm all is working.

Personally, I’d recommend not turning it off.

I've wondered about this too.   Although I understand what it does, if it dials 999 what is it going to tell the responder.   How will it know where the car is?

11 minutes ago, Bobr said:

I've wondered about this too.   Although I understand what it does, if it dials 999 what is it going to tell the responder.   How will it know where the car is?

It has a GPS receiver (regardless of whether sat nav is fitted).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe (I have never been unfortunate enough to be in an accident that activates this)

It gets a connection through to Police

Sends GPS location /last known GPS Location.

I believe it also keeps an open line so you can talk/try to talk even if you can’t move. I’m not certain however I believe that to be the case.

Has anyone ever heard of the emergency services responding to this? I wonder if they would send a vehicle out if they had the alert but no call from you/member of the public? 

Shame this GPS receiver can't work in locating a stolen vehicle. 

Thanks for replies I've turned it off but will turn it back on 😉

4 hours ago, Matt12341234 said:

Has anyone ever heard of the emergency services responding to this? I wonder if they would send a vehicle out if they had the alert but no call from you/member of the public? 

I haven’t heard of any cases, I believe (this isn’t backed by facts unfortunately) it only activates if it detects air bags / a major crash, not just a dent in a car park.

I then believe it is at a call handler/organisers discretion as to whether they send a car. For example, if there’s one just round the corner, they’ll probably send it to take a look, but if you’re 30 miles away from anything, no call just that, then maybe not given how stretched the forces are.

All down to who’s telling the police/emergency services where to go to what job. Personally, I have an Apple Watch which has an emergency feature that calls friends/families if I hold a button which provides location and calls anyone I need it to. That for me feels like much better insurance/safety.

15 hours ago, Matt12341234 said:

It needs your mobile phone to work.

and just to add to the original question:

All new cars will within three years contain tracking devices that alert the emergency services in the event of an accident.

Under EU laws passed on Tuesday the technology will be compulsory from 2018 and fitted as standard in every model of car and small van.

A serious crash will prompt an automatic call to the nearest emergency centre. Even if nobody in the vehicle is able to speak, the device will still relay the exact location, time, direction of travel, the scale of the impact and whether airbags have been deployed.

As Tiexen says, this is part of a much wider initiative known as eCall and has been many years in the making. Lots more info about Ford's implementation of it here.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club