Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated Washer Jets

SuttonRider

Can't find anything on this in the manual. Under what conditions do the heated washer jets work? ie do you need the windscreen heater on?

No-one knows...  I've literally asked this a few threads down lol.

As the only time I've had frozen jets is the one cold day I didn't use the heated windscreen I think they come on with that but not sure how to confirm it.

Rear screen on also does the mirrors if you have them fitted not all cars have the heated jets

front jets are activated by using the heated front screen- it's only the jet nozzle that's heated - if its cold enough to freeze the nozzle its cold enough to freeze the fluid in the washer pipe ..motor runs but no water as washer pipe itself is frozen- backs not heated but water freezes in the pipe under the front wheel arch..will eventually thaw after about 30 mins of driving

Good way of remembering it Stratoc - Thanks guys for all your input.

1 hour ago, stratoc said:

looking forward heated front screen. (jets and screen)

looking behind heated rear (windows and mirrors)

I never have understood why mirrors come on with the rear screen...  Yes they're both facing the same way, but there's a few feet of car in between, would make much more sense to have them with the front screen that they're inches away from.  I often find the sun has hit the rear window and cleared that while leaving the front screen and mirrors still covered.  So I have to 'waste' the rear screen just to clear the mirrors. :unsure: 

40 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I never have understood why mirrors come on with the rear screen...

I think it's because the front screen is time-limited, for obvious reasons, and the mirrors are likely to need longer. You only have to see the wires to the heating elements to know that they are quite low-powered. The rear screen takes much less power so it, and the mirrors, can be left on indefinitely.

I didn't realise the washer jets operated with the front screen.

• Like 1

Yeah like above posts say jets operate with front windscreen for the 5mims that it runs for.  But obviously only the nozzle is heated so if the pipes or water bottle is frozen it still won't work.. 

• 1 year later...

What would stop these from working and not letting the water through I have checked the fuse for the  jet heater and the water is pumping through up to the back of the jets but not coming through jets it self

Ford kuga 2018 

On 3/3/2018 at 11:55 AM, TomsFocus said:

No-one knows...  I've literally asked this a few threads down lol.

As the only time I've had frozen jets is the one cold day I didn't use the heated windscreen I think they come on with that but not sure how to confirm it.

could always turn put heated windscreen on and check if there is voltage going to the washer jets

22 minutes ago, D4ve1t said:

What would stop these from working and not letting the water through I have checked the fuse for the  jet heater and the water is pumping through up to the back of the jets but not coming through jets it self

Ford kuga 2018 

dirt in the jets

22 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

could always turn put heated windscreen on and check if there is voltage going to the washer jets

Will try this is there a relay for the jets what could have broke? 

4 minutes ago, D4ve1t said:

Surely dirt wouldn't stop all 3 at once

could be the pump or dirt stoping water coming from the pump

3 minutes ago, D4ve1t said:

Will try this is there a relay for the jets what could have broke? 

i think theres relays built into the fuse box

3 hours ago, mrmetallica said:

That post was nearly 2 years old lol.  I haven't had a heated screen for 18 months. :sad:

On topic though, have you been through a car wash recently?  The wax they spray on can dry in the jets and block them.  There aren't any electrics in the jrt heads that coukd stop the flow, literally just heaters.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, ferretfloozy said:

front jets are activated by using the heated front screen- it's only the jet nozzle that's heated - if its cold enough to freeze the nozzle its cold enough to freeze the fluid in the washer pipe ..motor runs but no water as washer pipe itself is frozen- backs not heated but water freezes in the pipe under the front wheel arch..will eventually thaw after about 30 mins of driving

in the winter you should be using a -30C solution in the washer bottle (and thus hoses).... I expect due to wind chill the nozzles can (on say the motorway) get a lot lower than that and heating these will give it a chance of working

• 3 years later...

Hi all

So I have a Zetec S and have the plugs to hook up a heated washer jet. I wanted to know what powers these, but strangely, there is a 12 v supply all the time even with the ignition off.

Have I go faulty wiring or are these powered all the time. surely not as it would flatten the battery.

I also checked a wiring diagram to these and it seems to be fed from an ignition overload relay, whatever that means.

Anyone able to shed any light on this ?

thanks

Ash

Is the "ignition overload relay" enabled with the ignition being switched on, but then goes off a specific time period after the ignition is turned off ?

On a Sierra, the heated washer jets come on with the ignition, rain or shine.

The heated washer jets use very little current.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paulkp said:

enabled with the ignition being switched on, but then goes off a specific time period after the ignition is turned off ?

I suspect that you are correct and it is the 'ignition overrun relay' that was once common until the GEM/BCM took over that function.

Haynes Manual 4785 Focus 05-09, Section 12, Diagram 6.

Pump and jets fed via F136 on passenger fusebox, this is fed from Relay R41, "Ignition Relay" in engine  compartment fusebox.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club