Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Accelerator Lag

GeoffBray

When I took delivery of my 2010 Focus Titanium 2.0 Auto in March the acceleration was sharp, but this has now developed into a distinct lag, but it is only apparent in low gear. For example, when slowing down to say 10 mph, then pressing the accelerator, there is a lag of a second or two when nothing happens, then it suddenly picks up and surges forward at considerable speed. This doesn't appear to be noticable when accelerating at higher speeds. I have to be really careful now when other cars are in front as there is a danger I'll rear end them. This also happens in reverse. I took it to my Ford dealer last March, they test drove it and found it to be normal. i was hoping to make it to its annual service, but I think it won't wait.

When I took delivery of my 2010 Focus Titanium 2.0 Auto in March the acceleration was sharp, but this has now developed into a distinct lag, but it is only apparent in low gear. For example, when slowing down to say 10 mph, then pressing the accelerator, there is a lag of a second or two when nothing happens, then it suddenly picks up and surges forward at considerable speed. This doesn't appear to be noticable when accelerating at higher speeds. I have to be really careful now when other cars are in front as there is a danger I'll rear end them. This also happens in reverse.

Come on think about it....if it is as you say, then it's positively dangerous and needs sorting straight away. Take it back to the dealer now, get the garage foreman sat beside you in the front passenger seat and take him for a spin round the block.......obviously being polite but forceful. I bet they were all over you when you went in and said you were considering buying a new car.

Besides you will achieve nothing by waiting until it's due it's first service. Because a service is all you will get when you take it in. As they will automatically think you do not attach significant importance to the fact it is doing what it is doing. They will assume you just look at it as an irritant, and maybe worth mentioning on passing......don't be fobbed off

i have a 2l manual on a 58 plate and i have a lag also. no lurching and its not dangerous but when you accelerate or drop off it takes a second or two to catch up. quite annoying when im used to driving older cars with good old cable's

Come on think about it....if it is as you say, then it's positively dangerous and needs sorting straight away. Take it back to the dealer now, get the garage foreman sat beside you in the front passenger seat and take him for a spin round the block.......obviously being polite but forceful. I bet they were all over you when you went in and said you were considering buying a new car.

Besides you will achieve nothing by waiting until it's due it's first service. Because a service is all you will get when you take it in. As they will automatically think you do not attach significant importance to the fact it is doing what it is doing. They will assume you just look at it as an irritant, and maybe worth mentioning on passing......don't be fobbed off

i have got 1.8 petrol zetec on a 56 plate with the same kind of symtoms. the acceleration lag is due to the drive by wire. i am still getting used to it after 6 months of ownership

Well just for the record, I've had my Mk2 55 plate 1.6 petrol for just over a year now, and have not at any time experienced these problems. Nor did I experience it in over three years of ownership of a Mk1 Focus 1.8 petrol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club