Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attention Everybody

Focus is cool

This is for everybody regardless of engine type.

If you are having problems with your car starting especially diesel.

Look at the battery FIRST!! it should if fully charged spin the engine over really fast.

I just had my seven year old Focus in the garage , they wanted to take the fuel system apart to check the glow plugs.

Well as they had had the car for a day I was reluctant to do that , anyway the car would not start when I went to get it , even though they claimed the car was OK while there.

Anyway when I got the car home I put the battery on charge overnight , it now starts like a good 'un!!!

I just thought I would pass the info on to anybody who is having issues with their cars.

Cheers Mark

7 years on the original battery? i would say that has had a hard life and should probably have been replaced a while ago - especially on a diesel. i changed the original battery on my 2001 petrol focus last year for the battery from the diesel model.

atleast you found the problem though mate :)

Cheers

I only got the car in July and the battery seemed to be turning the engine over OK , but it is surprising the difference a fully charged battery makes!!!

Maybe the mechanic should have spotted the problem too , thankfully I did not have to spend too much money to find out.

• 10 months later...

Having had a 9year old Vauxhall Vx220 I would definitely say that a good battery conditioner will extend the life of a battery, however if it is starting to wain, get it replaced as you can only prolong the inevitable for so long.

I have a CTEK charger and it is one of the best investments I ever made with my previous car. However having read up on how the battery setup is on a Focus (for example) I do really see a benefit in a battery charger / conditioner as a back up - just how the car may respond to it I am a little unsure (ie. because they run three terminals rather than the old fashion + & -) due to the fancier ECU controlled charging system.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club