Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Swivel Badge Removal?

.Ryan

Just got my ST grill for my Focus but having a bit of trouble getting the swivel Ford badge off. Can anyone give us some advice on how to get it off and onto the new grill?

c03b1d83.jpg

94dac240.jpg

Here is my new grill:

The screw looks like it's already had a going over, and I reckon it will be a struggle to unscrew with such weak thread.

Any help welcome :)

Thread is completley knackered :(

You need to unscrew where like you say looks like someone's had a go at it already.

If it's plastic and the screwdriver doesn't grip try heating up the tip of a blade screwdriver and melting a new slot into it.

The screw grips the front of the badge to the pivot which is the bigger bit around the screw, they both come out and there is a coil spring behind.

Look here for the bits inside as a reference picture -

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_mk1_radiator_grille_flip_badge_kit_f_KITBADGE2_c_99.htm

How i removed mine was unscrew the little screw a little and it pops out, along with spring. If you keep !Removed! and !Removed! itl just not do anything, it should unscrew enough then you can pull it out. Try wedge spring out, that may be stopping you pal.

The top of the screw has just come away and I'm left with this:

b229e4ea.jpg

Tried heating the tip of the screwdriver up with no joy.......new badge perhaps? :(

So you've threaded the screw? Shame you live miles away or else id come do it ha.

All i did was unscrew the screw whilst putting bit force into it and then unclipped the spring. Is the screw still fixed down? in thread? try pushing the spring out mate see where it clips on side plastic, be careful the screw may fly.

looks like it mate , if you get a new one tell me where you got it mines nackered after trapping it in bonnet atleast 20 times :D

They sell them all over eBay, most haven't got springs or screws though make sure you check. http://goo.gl/RtuUW

Beaten by Stoney... Yeah find a cheap one there.

Seem to of salvaged the actual Ford bage, it stays on (although not very secure), I'm going to see if Ford will sell me these bits (the two bits on the right|) to complete the swivel badge so it works properly:

IMG_1100.jpg

So, here is how she looks now with the ST grill:

IMG_1102.jpg

Bit of a bitter sweet really, as now the bonnet won't open as if the lock isn't catching........today is not my day :( Has this happened to anyone else?

looks good mate definatley prefer that honeycomb sort of look

I did have trouble, i sprayed alot of WD40 in the key bit and catching mechanism. Put your key into it.. turn to the right a slight touch about 2clock position then fully to left 10clock then back over to right 3clock.

Sounds bit crazy but when you put key in slightly turn right then over to left as much and then to right.

When it opens spray a good bit of WD40 or something on the catch and that. Remember your way of opening it too. let me know if it works

Will go and give that a try shortly mate thankyou :)

It's odd because the lock is in the same position it was on the old grill, I just turn the key and nothing happens. Kind of worrying a little/lot :unsure:

Will go and give that a try shortly mate thankyou :)

It's odd because the lock is in the same position it was on the old grill, I just turn the key and nothing happens. Kind of worrying a little/lot :unsure:

just try it (slightly to the right, then all the way to the left - then to right to open)

:)

Check my reply to the other grill thread. Major design fault with the focus locking mechanism

Frustrating as it is the design prevents thieves from opening your bonnet with a screwdriver if they've ripped off your grill. The most frustrating part is that you don't realise there's an anti tamper device fitted until you try to open your locked bonnet!!

Tried WD40 no joy, just got the new grill and this happens :(

Did you try turning the key like i said? i couldnt open mine at first i think it was due to tighten the nut too much where the spring is, maybe loosen it a little. But turning the key like i said didn't open it?

Yea I tried doing that with no joy, will keep at it pal!

Popped into Ford earlier who didn't seem that interested, but said they would have a look at it on Tuesday, can see this costing me :(

well I got mine done for free, including the replacement grill. Just make sure you mention its a design fault, they should replace it free of charge. also make sure they replace with the ST grill as it should be like for like. took them about 5 hours to do mine, as they ordered part from the main parts centre for the Midlands and was delivered within a few hours.

Also for anyone thinking of replacing the grill I would defiantly advise getting it done at a ford garage unless you are sure how to remove the key lock mechanism before you start. It is an extremely fragile part, for something that could be so simple.

I normally have pretty bad luck with dealing with companies, they will probably screw me on the lack of service history, it would still be in warranty if it had that.

Mine is a 60 plate with no service history when I bought it second hand, and nearly 28000 miles on the clock now and they still did it free of charge. I just rang up, booked it in and picked it up afterwards, they didn't ask for any money, but I'm sure if you try hard they will do it free of charge. It is fords fault that it has that mechanism in it anyway, they should have thought that the owners would want to swap the grills over to the other variants and or after market ones

Hope your right! If I don't get it open I will try this :) thanks buddy.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club