• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 brybry44

brybry44

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

just out of curiosity, could i purchase a second hand key code 98AG15K601AC from ebay and change my horse shoe to the ebay key and then just re prog this,

as i understand from owners manual that reprog is to set a new remote key to operate central locking and recode is for immobiliser.
to reprog you need only one coded key but for recode you need two coded keys
that this correct, thanks bryan

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 DaveRushton

DaveRushton

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium TDCi
  • Year: 2008

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Why dont you just take the car back to where it got serviced? Explain to them ask them to check it?

#18 brybry44

brybry44

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

not really the answer i was looking for,

#19 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,373 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

There's two parts to the key internals.
The central locking circuit which works off the battery and is easy to programme to any Ford.
The transponder which is a glass tube in the side of the key which works the immobiliser via resonance to a ring around the ignition barrel, two original transponder keys to programme to your model of car.
You can buy a second hand key to put your key blade (horseshoe) onto and programme the central locking to recognise the new circuit but will also need to transfer the original transponder chip to the new key body so the immobiliser will work.
The transponder is in a rubber tube and slides out of the end of the key body using a small screwdriver but must be done very gently as it's glass and extremely fragile.
You're lucky really as on later focus models the ability to add extra keys to the car was removed unless using an IDS programming unit.
One thing that can affect a key other than a duff battery and dirt is sometimes the spring contacts to the battery can often not make proper contact but a jiggle of the battery will resolve this.

One thing if thinking of acquiring a flip key is that afaik the transponder chip is a different design so are not swappable and can only be programmed once therefore its best to buy a brand new un-programmed key.

#20 brybry44

brybry44

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

im sold, it sounds better to purchase the new flip key as you said,
and get the blade cut and then reprog followed by re coding the transponder my self.
did not think that such a small thing as a key could be so difficult,
and after asking the price at the dealership i nearly passed out,
as my key is working again ( fingers crossed) i am still getting a new key, just in case and in the back of my mind if i lose or leave the key in jeans and they get washed, then i would only have one working key and a trip to the dealers,
thanks for your help

bryan

#21 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,373 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

You're welcome.
The programming really is a simple 2 minute job.
Let us know when you have your new key and the blade ready and we'll get you all set up.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: car key

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users