Do Not Sell My Personal Information

58 Reg Mondeo - Bonnet Catch/disable Alarm/rear Fusebox

YoungDavid

The bonnet on my car will not close properly. I had to but a new catch (about £70) only two months ago and I'd probably only had the bonnet open twice since then before the current problem.

I don't seem to be able to lock the car without having the alarm on and, of course, I am not popular with my neighbours.

Ford dealer can't look at it for 6 days (!) so I decided that the interim solution was to remove the alarm fuse.

This pagehttp://www.fordmondeo.auto-manual.org/fordmondeo-180.html

or page 174 of this page http://www.scribd.com/doc/20516545/2008-Mondeo-Owner-manual point me to removing fuse FB10 but when I remove the trim in the boot (at the left hand side near the lights) then I don't get a triple headed fuse box - just something that looks like about one of those sections.

[i'll add a photo tomorrow if this will help.]

Any ideas?

a) how to sort catch

B) how to lock car without alarm activated (don't expect so from my investigations) or

c) what the fuse situation is.

Many thanks in advance

David

If you have a barrel on the handle, lock with the key, this locks the door, but I dont believe it primes the alarm.

Check the catch, it might be that you need to reallign it by undoing torx screws, moving it further inwards to allow it to close further, then resecure, and test.

Photo would help but check the central fuse box and there should be one in the engine bay also...

Lock a car with a key!!!? What a quaint notion, just like in the olden days. :)

I'll give it a go and report back, many thanks for the suggestion.

David

Sadly, no joy. Locking with the key still activated the alarm. I've also tried swearing at it but that hasn't helped either.

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why my fuse box near the rear nearside light cluster doesn't match the manual.

Fortunately it's only going off about twice a day and ny neighbours do not seem to have started a lynch mob. Yet.

I'll have a better fidget with it tomorrow as I will have a bit more time. Drenching it in WD40 didn't help.

Thanks for your input.

David

irritating...

I guess the only other option would be to disconnect the battery and lock the doors one by one till you pin the error down...

All I can suggest now is an auto electrician / mechanic... I dont really know what else to suggest I am afraid...

• 4 weeks later...

To close this out. for now.

The problem simply stopped when the weather picked up so I'm wondering if something was frozen out of place somewhere.

Main Ford dealer had said that they would have a quick look and advise for free but anything more would be at least £80. I had no warranty for the fitting as it had been done 'off book'.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd see what they had to say. The mechanic opened the bonnet and within about 5 seconds without really looking at the lock said that I would need a new bonnet release cable fitted "How much?", I asked, he guesstimated £200. I left.

Hopefully OK until the next arctic blast.

Thanks for the suggestions - regards

David