Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: 2005 Focus Zetec Climate
  • Year: 2005

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

When you say about the gap. What is it exactly im looking for to see if they need replacing.

Ive looked at a guide for replacing them. Could i do much damage if i mess anything up doing this?.

Any words of wisdom to remove them?.

http://www.ifixit.co...rk Plugs/5124/1

Thats the guide ive looked at.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,051 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

The end of the electrode corrodes/wears away. You need feeler gauges to accurately measure them.

Removing them should be quite easy, just don't stick a 3ft pole on the ratchet if they are a bit tight. As they will snap

Refitting them, apply a little copper grease to the threads - makes them easier to remove in the future. Also screw them in by hand using the plug socket until they go all the way in. Be very careful not to cross thread the head is it will be a very expensive mistake.

#18 vinylpusher

vinylpusher

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Ok thanks.

1 last thing to try and pick your brains about.

When i start the engine sometimes, mainly when its cold but does do it other times, on the rev counter, petrol, temp and speed gauges, the needles will flicker and a ticking noise will come from the gauges for a few seconds and then they will go into place as normal. Could this be an indication of something on its way im out ?

Thats id you know could be lots of reasons though im guessing. Thanks

#19 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,051 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Ok thanks.

1 last thing to try and pick your brains about.

When i start the engine sometimes, mainly when its cold but does do it other times, on the rev counter, petrol, temp and speed gauges, the needles will flicker and a ticking noise will come from the gauges for a few seconds and then they will go into place as normal. Could this be an indication of something on its way im out ?

Thats id you know could be lots of reasons though im guessing. Thanks

Im not sure about that one mate, never heard of it happening.

I would suggest you start a seperate thread to see if anyone can help you out.

#20 vinylpusher

vinylpusher

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hello.

So yesterday i an oil and oil filter change. Spark plugs and air filter.

The engine sounds the same. A mechanic took a look and said its nothing to worry about but its not that im worried but the noise is just annoying.

The engine sounds like its tapping loudly when idle. Theres a few youtube videos of people with similar noises.

Anyone know what it may be?

#21 Nathan_M

Nathan_M

Too much time on the boards

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Flame Mk6
  • Year: 2004

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

To be fair my fiesta isnt very quiet, and its only at 24,500 miles, if its a zetec engine badged as duratec like mine the it has hydraulic tappets and they are supposed to adjust by themselves, i think they get a bit sticky, i find that after giving the car some down the road it is as quiet as a mouse at idle until the next morning, it may be that they are near the top of the motor and are late getting oil in the cold, i walked past a brand new 62 plate fiesta zetec s and it had the same noise just no so harsh, i had to laugh to my self, and the clicky noise in the dash, does it sound a little but like static electricity? Its probably a loose connectio into the cluster or i side the cluster, it might just be that it needs unplugging and plugging back in again, as the grounding pin in thd plug may be a little dry or dirty.

#22 vinylpusher

vinylpusher

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yeah i know how you mean even about brand new fords.

The needles hesitate like they want to move so tgey flicker back and forth quicky and thats when the noise is. Its only when i start the car. If the engine is off and i just turn the mey they are fine, then i start the engine and thats when it happens. When it does happen though it also resets the MPG and miles to next refill, but doesn't reset the trip odometer which is strange :/

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users