Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red Cog With Red Exclamation Mark......

Pirategirl

Yes please a photo of the engine bay fuse box would be good please, I've now disconnected the battery and can't get in the boot and also can get under the bonnet, took the grill of and now key doesn't turn in the lock 

9 hours ago, Lammers360 said:

Yes please a photo of the engine bay fuse box would be good please, I've now disconnected the battery and can't get in the boot and also can get under the bonnet, took the grill of and now key doesn't turn in the lock 

It never rains but it pours!sad.png

There are several threads on this site about the dreaded Focus bonnet lock, but there seem to be a number of different failure modes. It has not happened to me (yet!), so I have no first hand experience.

Photos of EJB internals attached. Glow plug fuse is two strands of 30A fusewire, I am not sure if the added in little connector is standard, or a special mod. for my car (It was a police car in an earlier life). The big connector in the middle carries a lot of signals, including the HS-CAN bus.

CAR-EJB1.JPG

CAR-EJB3.JPG

Hi mate I've also got that wire but can't figure out what it's for with that connector on it, however the car won't even start now just turn the key immboliser light flashes every so often it will turn but won't start, think I got a flash code of 16 I've read up on it and people are saying the pats module and the ecc or the ptm,pcm but can't seem to find any of them to check wiring 

2 hours ago, Lammers360 said:

I got a flash code of 16 I've read up on it and people are saying the pats module and the ecc or the ptm,pcm but can't seem to find any of them to check wiring 

I would still say the first suspect is the IC (cluster). See my post above:

A CAN bus is one pair of wires (usually twisted), that goes from one main module to another main module, with various stubs (tee joints) to other modules along the way. These modules are the major electronic units in the car.

All bus systems (electronic, electric power or Double Decker!), are transport systems with terminii and multiple stopping points along the way. The CAN bus transports information between all the modules it is connected to.

It means all the information in one module is available to all other modules on the bus. For instance the wheel sensors in the ABS can be used by the IC & PCM to find out the vehicle speed.

Most Foci (& many other Fords) have two (or more) CAN buses:

The HS-CAN (high speed), that goes from the PCM to the IC (Instrument Cluster), via most of the underbonnet modules like ABS, Steering (EHPAS), etc. It is a Grey-Red & Blue-Red twisted pair on the Focus Mk2/2a.

The MS-CAN (medium speed), that goes from the IC to the BCM (Body Control Module, aka GEM), via the interior modules like Doors, radio, park aid.

The IC is rather critical in that it is the gateway between all interior modules, and the engine & underbonnet modules.

The diagnostic connector has both CAN buses, and the scanner (OBD2 or other) connects to the HS-CAN bus to read the DTCs and other information, directly from the relevant modules. A "Modified ELM" can connect to the MS-CAN bus, also.

Other possible suspects in this connection are two connectors low down just in front of the passenger front door, behind the plastic trim. And the big connector in the EJB, in the photos. The HS-CAN bus goes through these.

The terminus modules have 120ohm terminating resistors in them, the other modules are just "bus stops" along the route. This can be used for a simple test: an un-powered CAN bus should read 60 ohms from line to line, on a multimeter.

The 60 ohm resistance test between the lines is easy if you have a multimeter. Connect it to pins 6 & 14 on the diagnostic connector. Turn the ignition off, and wait till the system is fully powered down. There should be no measurable voltage between the pins, switch to ohms and take the reading.

• 4 years later...

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my Ford Focus, did your car get diagnosed and fixed?