Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Shape Focus Accelerator Trouble

alexturner

Hi all

Had my 2012 Focus 1.6 diesel for over a year now and 21000 miles but the same thing keeps bugging me.

When I’m pulling away in first gear I find the accelerator feels very disengaged from the engine and the drive-by-wire system gets in the way.

I will explain...

I press the clutch, choose 1st gear and bring the clutch up whilst giving it some revs (not many because it’s a diesel, say 1000+).

This is when sometimes the engine revs up to 2000- 2500 rpm and if I let the clutch out at the normal rate the car races forward. The only way I have found to counteract this is to lift of the accelerator and press the clutch back in and start again. If I pull away and give it no revs the engine is very sluggish and I get hardly any throttle response. This is what I mean by being disengaged because I know it doesn’t have a cable any more but is run by the ECU.

Now I can drive fine. I’ve been doing it for over 10 years and I’ve driven lots of diesels in the time but this is starting to get to me and the only reason it does is because I get to drive a brand new 1.6 tdi VW caddy in which I have no problem.

So my question really is does anyone who owns or drives a new shape 1.6 diesel focus have trouble with standing starts because of the accelerator suddenly revving?

It took me a little while to get used to my MK3 2.0 Diesel, but I had the opposite problem, the engine wouldn't rev enough from a start and I came close to stalling a few times.

Have you asked your dealer?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club