Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Repair Or Scrap? Help Me :(

Lovesmycar

Hi people iv no idea if iv posted in correct area? My beloved puma has been declared a cat c after a stupid woman reversed into me, I had drivers wing damage, bumper and headlight. I have received car back but been told I need to repair this and then get a vic check done before its road legal, do any of you have any advice on if I should repair or scrap? Car is v reg and 55k on clock...thanks you in advance

Changed title to help you a bit and moved to General Ford discussion.

As for your q:

Do you have fully comp insurance? Have you been given an offer for scrap?

Thank you, iv been offered money and got my car back, went 3rd party as wasn't my fault and I wasn't loosing my excess! Car is great condition bar this problems, had all brakes done and timing belt recently, sills are great no rust, back arches have slight rust so seems a waste to scrap it if fixing it will be cheap enough

Hi and welcome, this is probably the wrong place as this is the introductions for new members, forum. I'm sure a mod will move this thread to the appropriate forum

If your car has been classified as a Cat C, then in order to drive it again you need to do the following:

1. Repair the Car (your insurer should give you a payout amount at the value the deem the car to be worth). You may need to top this amount up with your own cash, depending on the cost of repairs. You should also get your car back, some insurers seem to think they get to keep your car which is incorrect.
  2. MOT - After its repaired you need to get an MOT done, to ensure the car is roadworthy.
  3. VIC Test - Checks the identity of the vehicle to ensure its not cloned or two cars shunted together etc.
  4. Then you should be able to get a new V5c, which takes into account the car being classified as a Cat C.

My old car (golf) went through this process, took about 1.5months to get it back on the road again, after payint £1300 to repair. It depends on the damage and cost to repair this.

I only need a wing and headlamp, bumper is more scratched which ill worry about later, I just wonder how easy it'll be to repair wing I know I'm £45 for light, I can get wing in any colour bar red that I need so obviously a spray job as well, is the vic check really awful? I don't want to fix this for them then to tell me lots needs done

VIC test only checks the identity of the vehicle, it doesn't check the road worthiness of the car, that's the MOT. Sounds like the damage is not that drastic, so take your payout, get an estimate of how much the repairs will be to make sure the car can pass an MOT, then decide whether you want to fix it or not. :)

Ah see no one told me i need mot also. So what happens with regards to mot already on car thats up in dec

Ah see no one told me i need mot also. So what happens with regards to mot already on car thats up in dec

As far I can recall, might be wrong, the existing MOT may not be valid due to the car being written off , so you might need a new MOT. I'd speak to your insurer and also might be worth contacting Vosa:

Office address

VOSA

Berkeley House

Croydon Street

Bristol

BS5 0DA

Emailenquiries@vosa.gov.uk

Telephone0300 123 9000

Fax0117 954 3209

Hi,if memory serves me right your current MOT becomes invalid as car has been written off and will if repaired need a VIC inspection,after which it would then need a new MOT to make it legally road worthy.Had to go through this process when my Mazda Xedos 6 got written off years ago and I decided to buy it back and have it repaired.Hope this helps

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club