Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low Profiles In The Snow

steveo

Folks

What are low profiles like in the snow

I only do city driving and don't want yo fork out money on winter tyres as I would gave to buy rims and tyres also would have no where to store them

My journey to work is only around 2 miles

Do we have any driving tips

If you're very careful you shouldn't have too much of a problem unless it's deep. I say that but I am in Dorset in the South and you are in Aberdeenshire so I can't really compare! :lol:

Winter tyres are definitely much better if you can justify it though!

Let a little air out of tyres and the secret is be very smooth when driving so smoothly accelerate, let engine do most of your braking give your self double the time to turn and stop than you were thinking of giving yourself and dont put clutch in and hit brakes, the abs will take over and you will never stop. if you cant pull away dont rev the engine all over, just keep it from stalling and turn steering wheel left to right to see if you start moving, if your wheels dig a hole you might have to rock it forward on the clutch and let it come back then rock forward a bit more, you get the gist. I am afraid it is a learning curve but remember its not a race and if you take your time and drive to conditions you should be fine. if you not sure about the open road is there not a friend or family member that would be able to drive you to a industrial estate in the evening where there is no one about and practice?

Thanks George for the advice.

So gentle driving, brake gentle, keep it moving if poss.

No sharp movements,

I guess getting used to it is the key.

Just hate driving In snow.

If it is too bad I guess I will just have to walk to to work as it is all down hill.

Will see how it goes.

Fingers crossed it will be a mild one

Low profiles are pretty useless in the snow!

but as you say you're in city driving its not too big a deal - my fiesta was fine in manchester to be honest. its only further out where the hills are more of a problem!

I know folks rave about winter tyres and I have no doubt they are better. I also think that the marketing has been remarkably persuasive in getting everyone to use them, a couple of bad winters has helped.

However I've been driving for over 30 years and have never bought a winter tyre in my life. I have only had one accident when I hit some black ice and ended up in a ditch with a written off RS Turbo but I doubt any tyre would have saved me from that to be fair.

As has been said before take it easy and do everything gently and allow more time and space.

Yeah as long as you just keep your distance and such and take things easy you should be fine. I've not had problems before.

I bought and put on my new winter wheels (ford alu alloys "15 + tyres). I have been driving all the time on my "17s, and the comfort on the holes in the road surface is colossal improvement. Here in Poland we have lots of snow in winter, so you are obligated by law to use it. Low profile in the winter here in PL - rly not recomended! You gonna break your alloy on the first "winter road hole".

On the other hand, my car now looks a little bit less sporty, but it`s still ok :-)

I bought and put on my new winter wheels (ford alu alloys "15 + tyres). I have been driving all the time on my "17s, and the comfort on the holes in the road surface is colossal improvement. Here in Poland we have lots of snow in winter, so you are obligated by law to use it. Low profile in the winter here in PL - rly not recomended! You gonna break your alloy on the first "winter road hole".

On the other hand, my car now looks a little bit less sporty, but it`s still ok :-)

Alex the big difference is in UK we have two days a year when it snows and the whole country grinds to a halt then everything is fine again so winter tyres are not such a big deal for us.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club