Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Led Lights

Jockstar

Just looking for suggestions for suppliers for LED lights for a 2007 Ford Focus.

I'm ideally looking for sidelights, rear brake light on the spoiler (5 bulbs), registration bulbs and reverse light as I think the normal reverse light is a bit pathetic.

I have read other threads but just really looking for supplier suggestions. I've never really bought items on eBay and some of the bulb suppliers have mixed reviews.

Will my Focus require canbus LED lights?

Thanks,

John.

• Like 1

I have a clear LED upper brake light and it's very good.

Similar to this one-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-2008-Ford-Focus-MK2-REAR-SMOKE-CLEAR-LED-THIRD-STOP-BRAKE-LIGHT-LAMP-/360668013384?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53f97d2348

This is the type of bulb I have in my plate lights, 2 years on and still going strong-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PC-3-SMD-LED-39mm-239-272-CANBUS-NO-ERROR-XENON-WHITE-NUMBER-PLATE-LIGHT-BULB-/251176832028?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7b4e4c1c

Reverse bulb has to be a cree type, far brighter and long lasting.

I currently have one like this (382 type)-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Ford-Focus-MK2-04-11-382-P21W-CREE-LED-Reverse-Bulb-Bright-White-Light-Back-/290869457795?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFord|Model%3AFocus&hash=item43b92bb383

But will soon be swapping for one like this for extra brightness-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30W-CREE-XENON-WHITE-1156-382-HIGH-POWER-LED-REVERSE-BULB-FORD-/300889168193?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item460e645941

If you're going to change the reverse bulb to cree I'd recommend you go for the same in the rear fog light too (same as above type).

As a nice touch, a recognises upgrade is to fit a European reverse lens to replace the red fog lens with a clear one and fit a red cree bulb instead.

Clear lens (meant for left hand drive cars but a popular upgrade and a direct swap for the red lens)-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK1-MK2-CLEAR-REAR-BUMPER-FOG-LIGHT-EURO-STYLE-/330925275367?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d0caef8e7

Red cree bulb-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-FOG-LIGHT-CREE-RED-LAMP-LED-CAR-BULB-12V-382-P21W-FORD-FOCUS-MK1-/271051023164?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFord|Model%3AFocus&hash=item3f1be6633c

I just bought some of these bulbs for my sidelights but until I get to trying them out I can't vouch for fit and light quality-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310726622247?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• Like 3

Thanks for the information Stoney. I've ordered the registration plate bulbs. Did yours throw up any errors? I'm not sure if a 2007 focus will have canbus issues.

Thanks,

John.

• Like 1

I'm the exact same as Stoney RE never getting any errors with LEDs. However my Fusion is an 04 Reg and I don't know is it even possible to get them! I have a full LED conversion for every possible bulb and have always bought the error free ones from eBay and I'm very pleased with the results.

For your 07 Focus just make sure to get the "Canbus Error Free" bulbs and you should be laughing!

• Like 1

The only bulbs I won't change for LED's are the front and rear indicator bulbs (and headlights of course).

LED's draw much less power than standard incandescent ones and therefore the indicator relays run too fast and the indicators go like the clappers (same as when an indicator bulb blows).

Instead I use Silvertec type ones, they look silver when unlit but amber when powered therefore getting rid of the "fried egg" effect in the light clusters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270914772559?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• Like 1

Yeah I used the silver osram indicator bulbs back in the day when tinted lights and clear lights were all the rage.

The reason I'd asked was the link you posted for the reg lights stated the lights were error free but the cree reverse light wasn't according to the eBay advert.

I'd like to buy the reverse light but I wasn't sure if it would cause problems or require resistors to be fitted.

The only bulbs I won't change for LED's are the front and rear indicator bulbs (and headlights of course).

LED's draw much less power than standard incandescent ones and therefore the indicator relays run too fast and the indicators go like the clappers (same as when an indicator bulb blows).

Instead I use Silvertec type ones, they look silver when unlit but amber when powered therefore getting rid of the "fried egg" effect in the light clusters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270914772559?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

+1 the modern ford has a sound effect of the clicking relay indicator,

To successfully fit led indicators the gem software would be required to turn down the pulse,

However

On older cars 1902-2006BC (before Can-bus) :lol:

It is possible to purchase a replacement indicator relay that is a straight swap and has a screw head control knob that can be turned to alter the speed at which the indicators fash

Yeah I used the silver osram indicator bulbs back in the day when tinted lights and clear lights were all the rage.

The reason I'd asked was the link you posted for the reg lights stated the lights were error free but the cree reverse light wasn't according to the eBay advert.

I'd like to buy the reverse light but I wasn't sure if it would cause problems or require resistors to be fitted.

The cree reverse bulbs are error free,

Cree reverse bulbs have built in transformers and resistors.

You can send 24v or 12v supply to a Cree reverse bulb and it will work just the same,

But purchase them from the uk, because cree from china are replica items that don't work at all

I just noticed that the festoon bulbs I bought using the link above are 39mm. I've been reading the pinned bulb thread and I've seen people referring to the festoon as being 42mm. Does this mean I've bought the wrong bulb?

The contacts for the festoon bulb are only a couple of sprung metal strips.

If they feel loose you just have to put a bend in the contacts with some pliers to tighten them up.

if your just after LED Bulbs take a look at my7 build thread, whilst some of the dual filaments are in different places (i.e. my tail and fog lights - as opposed to your tail and brake lights) may differ slightly, I believe they are the same bulb - I love my LED's and not had a problem with any of them since I installed them!

Thanks for your help folks. Jeebo, I'll take a look at your thread just now. Apparently my reg LEDs have been dispatched today. I've ordered the Cree Q5 mega bright reverse light (not cheap but hopefully will make a difference) and I've ordered one Cree 501 to trial before I spend anymore.

I'll post up pictures on my project thread when they arrive. Car is booked in for paint and a general tidy up at the end of the month so nice lights will finish it off.

• Like 1

I would have gone with the Cree's if I had a few more quid! they are definately worth more than the LED's I put in my reverse :)

• Like 1

Fitted the registration light bulbs. First picture shows a comparison between old and new. The last two pictures are with both bulbs changed. I noticed that the driver's side bulb holder was in mint condition but the passenger side had rust in it. Cleaned the lens up as best I could but I can only assume water has been getting in. Anyway here's the pictures:

IMG_10611_zpsbdbb4275.jpg

IMG_10621_zps994280cd.jpg

IMG_10631_zpsb28b89e3.jpg

• Like 1

Looks much better! They take years off.

Are you going to go for the H4 Xenon Headlights and LED Fogs too?

• Like 1

I've got a Cree reverse light coming and I've bought one Cree 501 LED bulb to trial fit as a sidelight or possibly try fitting it to the middle spoiler brake light. The brake light takes 5 bulbs so a it's quite expensive to buy 5 Cree bulbs (and ideally they probably need to be red as opposed to white)! I'd like to do the headlights and fogs but not sure which bulbs to use. Cree do foglights but they're over £30 pair. I thought about replacing the headlights altogether but aftermarket headlights can sometimes be a bad move. Anyone changed them for non Ford ones?

I've heard people talking about Osram nightbreakers but sometimes they criticise the longevity. So not sure what to do next.

• Like 1

I had the exact same issue with my tailgate handle, water was getting in and corroding the bulb holder on the passenger side. Went through a few bulbs as a result and it would make an awful mess of the SMD LED Bulbs I use. There was a little clip on the far left of the tailgate handle broken and water was getting in here.

Got a new tailgate handle complete with lenses and had it colour coded when I had my kit sprayed and no issues since.

I still have the old handle and lenses, was gonna keep them as spares in case the new ones had similar issues, but they're in a good while now with no problems so might have at least one good one as a spare if it's any good to you. As I say though, if water's getting in it's only a matter of time before it keeps wrecking bulbs.

I'll try get some pics this evening to show you the offending clip and the resulting damage it caused to my bulbs and lens!

On the topic of aftermarket headlights, Charlie (Brigante) changed his units and loves the upgrade, check his build thread or give him a shout. I have black ST xenons fitted but with factory 4300k bulbs. Have two spare HID kits lying in the shed though (one came with the headlights and one came fitted to the fogs when I got my complete front bumper), so thinking of trying one of those to test the colour match with the CREE sides and fogs.

That would be handy Gary as I've already replaced the passenger side reg. bulb to get it through its MOT and then the following year I had to replace it again. All the while, the driver's side one is still going strong. I did wonder at the time why it had happened but there's most likely a water ingress issue that you've also experienced.

I'm supposed to be getting the tailgate handle colour coded at the end of the month, so if I need to replace it then I need to look into this sooner rather than later. If you can post a picture that would be brilliant as it can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

John.

I just phoned up my local Ford dealership and they carry the bulb holder/lens in stock (£7-8) but the tailgate handle is £52 and I'd need to order that in. I'll need to take a look first as I'm not spending that kind of money to find out I have a different problem.

I've taken a look at Charlie's project thread as well and funnily enough the only aftermarket headlights I liked are the ones he bought and fitted! I'm not sure who supplies them but I do like them. The headlights on my car just are the smoked looking standard Ford lights as opposed to the silver/chrome look, but they're crying out for something more interesting!

• Like 1