Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Sport 1.8 Help\advice Requested

WGC_Rich

Thank you for clicking.

So, in December I bought a Focus Sport 1.8 from a dealer in Hertfordshire ('07 plate, 91k miles).

The gearbox was stiff but all seemed fine and I took the car to Wales and back (about 300 miles).

On the way back my engine light came on and I took it into Kwik Fit who advised it was either the sensor or the catalytic converter. As it wasn't serious, and it was xmas eve, they turned the light off and I booked it in for a full service after the festive season.

I took it to a Ford dealer (my car loving friend has since advised me this was foolish) and they came back with a list of problems.

1. gearbox failed

2. catalytic converter failed

3. EGR valve fault

4. front brake pads 90% worn

5. front brake discs worn close to limit

I took the car back to the dealer and left it with them for a week. They told me they took care of 1, 2 & 3. My plan was to take care of 4 & 5 between now and the MoT (July) and also source some new tyres too.

But today the engine light has come back on and I am torn on what to do.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not at all technical and was wondering if anyone could recommend a reliable garage in the Herts area and help me regain confidence in my new car?

My last car was a Focus 1.4, '04 plate and in 3 years I hardly had any problems so this has been a frustrating start to what was supposed to be a time of enjoying going up hills without having to lower the gear!

There was no charge for the three items they said they took care of.

A1 Autos in Hoddesdon, in case anyone knows good\bad things about them.

Ha that a joke wat did they mean gearbox failure did they just delete light an send u on ur way how come they didn't charge u

Fault codes are essential to identify the issue, however you cant just fix a gearbox failure for free.

Sounds like they just reset the error codes and as the EML went out, problem solved.

Put it into perspective

Gearbox Failure:

New Gearbox - £1.5K? Clutch - £600, gear mesh - £400

Cat Failure - £650

EGR Failure - £150 - £600 depending on clean out or replace...

Now, either you slept with the manager / manageress and they are so infatuated with you that they took every one of those costs on the chin, or, they just turned the light out and waited for it to go bang... :p

According to Ford (Potters Bar) the gearbox differential was shredded. When the Dealership (A1 Autos) looked at it they said that a link had become unconnected and needed reattaching and that moisture had got into the gearbox from it not being used much by the previous owner and it had become stiff.

The gearbox is now not an issue (that I can tell from driving anyway) and a massive improvement on how it was before I took it back (when it was really stiff and going from 2nd to 3rd was a real battle).

The Cat & EGR are both alien to me - but I am aware they can be expensive. Although the parts on eBay seem a lot cheaper than quoted above.

I have not had a read-out of any fault codes.

My ideal plan of action is to find a reliable local garage/fellow Focus owner who can give me an educated & unbiased review of my cars health.

At which point I either find out all is manageable or I take the car back and insist on a refund due to the errors/lies about fixing and threaten to take them to trading standards & the local paper if not (plus re-enact Dead Man's Shoes on them...)

Sounds like a good idea to be honest!

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Thanks for your previous tips above.

The latest news is that I took the car to be checked out and the gearbox was now fine but the cat was still failed.

I took it back to the dealers - they put a new one on - and so far so good.

I am now in the process of buying some front brake pads but apparently there are two options 278 or 300 - I called up Ford and they were no help but my buddy said that with the VIN no. I should be able to find out which one to order.

Is that true?

Can anyone advise me exactly which type I need to order?

Thanks in advance

Rich

300mm for petrol & diesel 1.8 and over

how can ford not know that?

• Like 1

Let me add one more thing, as it looks though I've got pads and discs confused above.

If I buy this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINTEX-front-brake-disc-and-pad-set-ford-focus-II-2004-mdk0239-/190765872277

Will they fit my Ford Focus 1.8 Sport '07 plate?

Cheers

Let me add one more thing, as it looks though I've got pads and discs confused above.

If I buy this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINTEX-front-brake-disc-and-pad-set-ford-focus-II-2004-mdk0239-/190765872277

Will they fit my Ford Focus 1.8 Sport '07 plate?

Cheers

Actually im not sure now as the mintex online catalog states 278mm for the 1.8 petrol version

someone else will need to confirm

There's 2 types of system 1 is the tieves braking system i think the others delphi depending on which determines the size if you turn youre steering all the way to one side get under the car with a torch and look at the carrier its stamped on it the size

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that my discs are 278mm - have ordered some Mintex discs and pads off eBay - the journey to my perfect car continues...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club