Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Abs Light Stays On After Complete Brake Change

Steve Skinner

Hi, I had all 4 brakes replaced recently, now my ABS light comes on after i reach approx 40 mph and at times, not often, when i push the break peddle the brakes don't engage correctly and i get only what ican descibe as a grinding feeling with intermitant brake contact to Pads/discs, this happens until i release the brake peddle then re engage, does anyone have a clue what is causing this problem......Thanks in advance

Hi Steve,

So the ABS light is probably due to something simple, perhaps its not fully reconnected on the wire so its not monitoring the wheel properly, or, it sounds like the disk hasnt been properly aligned.

Can you check for error codes as that will till you which wheel is affected.

They shouldn't have touched any of the abs system when changing the discs and pads bit it would be worth checking the sensors, wiring etc.

Abs will need a special diagnostic tool unless any of that data displays on the dash James?

nah it doesnt, but if you have a modified ELM cable, and access to FORSCAN then you can see the errors, even Torque can pick some of them up but the dash itself IIRC does not allow you to pull the ABS codes.

Possible one or more of the ABS sensors or wiring has been disturbed when the brakes were changed. The feeling you're getting with the brakes sounds familiar to how it feels when the abs kicks in and releases then reapplies brake pressure. If you're losing a signal or reading from an ABS sensor the system could be interpreting that as a wheel locking up and hence the ABS kicking in when it shouldn't, before it's diagnostics then decide to put the warning light on.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club