Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Saga

MattDRX

Moderation Queue is annoying,

So after a while of bent steering and checking everything out, having the hunter machine on it ( which gave a very weird reading )

The issue has been solved.

Never ever ever x 1 Million have I ever come across this issue before.

I will give a prize to whoever can guess the issue by the end of the working day...

Nothing to do with Wheel Balance, poor fitment, tyre shape or tracking.

Ford are just plain strange.........

my guess : The fact there are no ST logos on the mats

my guess : The fact there are no ST logos on the Mats

Haha, my mats are also lacking an ST logo, I'd better check that my steering is ok...

Asylum seeker hoping to get smuggled over the border to Hampshire?

Nope.

Changed the wheels, left to right and went back to normal.

So the wheels are sided, weighted to rotate in one direction only, very odd.

The steering wheel is on wonky and was adjusted

Your eyes are wonky and you have been given glasses

There was some lead in the passenger footwell meaning the suspension was lower that side, and has since been returned to the church roof

You only drive on roads with a very slight curve and have been told to stick to straight roads

Your steering rack has expanded in the heat and has since been packed with ice to cool it down

Something to do with a penguin

Do I win the prize?

its the end of the working day, i wanna know now :rolleyes:

I would if I could post.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Maybe the steering got so bad that the car steers in random directions, and he's still trying to get home from work.

• Like 2

Mice creating a nest near the steering rack.

One of the floppy dice has fallen off.

Have I won the prize?

I wouldn't advise anyone to get a job doing what Matt does - his working days are at least 3 days long!

• Like 2

Was put on a stupid moderation queue. The wheels are sided, changed them round left to right and vice versa and sorted it out straight away. Ford are very strange.

So is that not to do with balance then? never heard of "sided wheels", it has to be the balance on each wheel.

• Like 1

What's moderation queue?

When you say sided what do you mean? A certain wheel has to go on a certain hub?

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

So I take it you can swap wheels front to back but not left to right? That's what I was planning to do at some point so they wear down evenly (front to back).

Moderation queue is when your bad on here or insult a mod they make you wait a few days before they release your posts. Yep a left wheel has to go on the left it seems, maybe they are designed to rotate in one direction only not sure but it settled it. Also found on nsf a spot of corrosion brewing underneath the paintwork on the wheel so Ford will be having that back this week as well, looks like a Toyota alloy wheel proper little scab.

Was put on a stupid moderation queue. The wheels are sided, changed them round left to right and vice versa and sorted it out straight away. Ford are very strange.

I wouldn't call a moderation queue stupid as this could be seen as a direct insult towards the moderation team.

The queue is there for a reason.

So the wheels are side specific.

Do Ford have side specific part numbers?.

• Like 1

Never heard of wheels being matched to particular sides of a car during manufacture.

While it in theory sounds a simple thing it would introduce a fair amount of extra cost on every vehicle for their supply/delivery chain to be able to handle this plus how they'd check in the factory that the wheels had been matched up correctly.

You'd have to ask what they'd do with cars which get a full-sized spare too?

• Like 1

Balancing is per wheel and nothing to do with their position on the car.

Siding is known but unusual on everyday tyres. Their direction of rotation is vital but where the tread is the same across the tyre siding is not normally needed but on some high performance cars the tread is different on one side of the tyre to the other and so it matters which side of the car it's on. My guess here is that your tyres do have a differing tread pattern across the width of the tyre so this was interacting with the road differently on each side. Interesting !

Either the directional tyres were rotating in the wrong direction or asymmetric tyres were fitted to the wrong side of the vehicle.

Would a Ford Fiesta ST have asymmetric tyres?.
I guess you would fail an MOT if you have a tyre fitted to the wrong side of the vehicle?.

If they was directional tyres fitted on the wrong side they would fail the mot. I know someone who personally had it failed.

What are asymmetric tyres?

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

http://www.ctyres.co.uk/tyre_info/asimetrical_tyres.html

A little info there. This happened on my last car, the tyres actually had a tiny arrow on the outside by the make and size to indicate the direction they should go

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

Wonder how many people have actually done this? Looking at the tyres you can see the tread would be displacing the water I wards rather than outward the way they were.

Haven't they got 'outside' written on the outside? Im sure mine do! Does this mean yours have been wrong since the car was new?!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club