Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Name: Brian
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Si 2.0 16v
  • Year: 2000

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Not sure what you mean by oil seeping behind tappets, but perhaps a pic might help?

This is what I see when looking at the exhaust cam @ no.3 cyl

ImageUploadedByFord OC1408903782.399141.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 BOF

BOF

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

No, sorry, that didn't help me. On some engines, you can see the hydraulic follower part quite clearly, and in that case if there is oil pressure behind the follower part some of the oil escapes around the edge of the follower. At least from the angle of the photo I can't see anything, either way.

So, right now, i'd say that we are guessing whether the problem is that there is no oil pressure at the tappet or where there is oil there and it escaping too easily.

On the other hand, from what you can see, the lobes on the cam look fairly clean, and if the engine had been subject to serious, long-term, lack of maintenance - which I was concerned that it had- then that could well be worse.

#18 Blackie_No1

Blackie_No1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

Yea I was happy to see no scoring or marks on the lobes as well.

I have to remove the cam before I can get at the tappets, at present I don't have the timing tools to allow me to remove the the timing belt etc . . . Though they are on their way from Laser and I should have them within a few days.

I still think it's either a failed valve stem oil seal holding the tappet open or a burnt out exhaust valve :(

#19 Blackie_No1

Blackie_No1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

@BOF here is another pic, maybe it's of more help to you?

ImageUploadedByFord OC1408959886.665802.jpg

ImageUploadedByFord OC1408959903.481162.jpg

#20 BOF

BOF

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

I'd have to say that I've probably run out of usefulness on this.

I'm not sure how the oil feed is arranged on this engine, but, if you could lift that cam bearing and see it, there might be some chance of cleaning it out without completely lifting the cam. It is, however, more likely that you do have to lift the cam in order to get at it, because it is hidden below the split line.

(If you can still get them, a pipe cleaner might be something that you can feed along the oil way, assuming that there is a soft blockage somewhere near the point to which you have access. That may or may not help. What I was expecting was a cylinder head liberally coated in a black, thick, greasy substance. Given that there isn't much thick, black, greasy to be seen, maybe there is a completely different explanation.)

In which case, you do have to lift the cam, at least a little. Maybe there is a possibility of lifting all of the cam bearing upper halves and having enough play to get at the oil feed or the followers without completely losing cam synchronisation (which would make the putting back together easier), but I don't know, I've never taken one of these to pieces. On the other hand, the level of care needed to keep the cam in its position with the drive teeth may just be more trouble than it is worth. But, ensuring that you have the cam timed correctly is a bit of a pain (a fiddle, rather than excessively difficult, and the kind of thing that you worry about having done correctly), so if there is a way around that it might be a short cut. Maybe you can make little alignment marks that you can work to during re-assembly (re-assembly is the reverse of disassembly, as the Haynes manuals always, so irritatingly, say).

#21 Blackie_No1

Blackie_No1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

Pulled the exhaust manifold off tonight, safe to say that is a valve stem oil seal at the very least :(

ImageUploadedByFord OC1408999768.023499.jpg

#22 Blackie_No1

Blackie_No1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Tomorrow will tell (all going to plan!) I should be able to get the head off tomorrow!

#23 Blackie_No1

Blackie_No1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

So the problem was an incorrect exhaust valve fitted by previous owner(s)/mechanic.

The valve was 1mm too short in total length, quite possible a tad thinner stem as well although I didn't have the means to measure that, just an assumption based on the oil getting into cylinder.

I'm currently in the process of putting the engine all back together :)

#24 Blackie_No1

Blackie_No1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

And she's up and running!:

#25 BOF

BOF

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:59 PM

So the problem was an incorrect exhaust valve fitted by previous owner(s)/mechanic.

The valve was 1mm too short in total length, quite possible a tad thinner stem as well although I didn't have the means to measure that, just an assumption based on the oil getting into cylinder.

I'm currently in the process of putting the engine all back together :)

Err, I have to point out that I'd have never have guessed the 'previous owner fitted completely wrong valve' scenario. Just goes to show, particularly with a newly purchased vehicle, you can never dismiss stuff out of hand, however unlikely.

I'll just point out that my local garage, many years ago, had a car in that sounded wrong. The smart money seemed to be on something in the bottom end of the engine, although there was disagreement about exactly whether it was the big ends, or not. When they pulled the engine to pieces it was clear that someone had fabricated their own piston. From wood. No one had guessed that.

PS Hope it is running well now, and you are now enjoying the car.

#26 Blackie_No1

Blackie_No1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:02 PM

No way!!! From wood??? And I thought the guy or mechanic who worked on my car was a butcher lol!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users