Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Problem - Fiesta Mk6 2002 (1.4 16V)

makaronake

Hey guys,

My car didn't wanna start this morning, so I took out my phone and recorded the symptoms:

- When I turn the key to start the engine, all I hear is a clicking sound from the fuse box. Then something keeps ticking until another louder click...then it stops.

Is the starter relay causing this? If so, can someone help me locate it ?

Thanks in advance!

Well done for posting a video.

Is it possible you could do another one showing the lights on the instrument cluster but waiting a little more time until after most of them have gone out.

The only relay you should be interested in hearing a click from is the middle one of the three black relays in the centre row when you turn the key to start the car.

Thanks Dan,

I actually touched those relays in the fuse box to see which one vibrates and it was the one on the top left (the F57B-148192-AA relay). But something weirder happened now:

Before even getting in the car, I noticed that the electric locking didn't work (i have a brand new battery). When I got in, i saw that the fuel/water temp indicator and the clock were on, even without the key in the ignition.

And when I inserted the key and turned it (probably a dumb move), the fuel indicator lines started to light up one by one ... so I got scared, removed that relay and unplugged the battery.

I don't even know if it's safe to plug it back in and make a video with the whole behaviour ... maybe I need an exorcist.

That's the ignition relay, it comes on when the key is in position II.

Don't know why you have other problems, check the battery connectors are in good condition, wipe off any grease on them and try again.

Yep, it was the flat battery; I jumped it and the car started and it's been running all day without problems. Weird, cause I bought this battery 2 weeks ago...

Thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Clicking would have been the starter motor crying out for more juice, the relays will click as one controls the fuel pump and primes the system when in position 2 of the ignition, any modern car shouldn't be started until all of the ignition check lights go out as this is the time it takes for the ecu to gather temperature and other parameters of your engine to guarantee a successful start up.

Makes perfect sense, thanks alot!

I'm pretty sure the navi unit was responsible for this. It was wired (intentionally) straight on the battery ... ever since I changed that back to normal (power the unit on ignition), I had no problems with the battery.

Again, thanks everyone. One more lesson learned :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club