Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Legal Cover: Yay Or Nay?

WAZ91

So im currently looking at quotes and amazingly Llyods are cheapest for me! :o

I am wondering how important is Legal cover and should i get it at £2.17 extra per month? I dont think i have ever had it previously and if i had i nver said yes to it haha.

Thanks

DEFO,go for it.

i had to use this when i had an accident in 1990.

like with all insurance companies there really are only interested in taking your money,when it came to helping me make my claim they were not really helpful.BUT as i had legal cover it turned out to be the best investment i had done.

was given a solicitor who dealt with my claim extremely efficiently,i ended up with about 2ks worth of dental treatment done,loss of car,taxi/bus tickets any other surplus costs etc.then there was the personnel claim,total was quite a few grand all in.

so from my opinion i will always have this now,and for something that is just a few quid per month its just peace of mind.

in an ideal world we SHOULDNT need this,as its just another insurance within your main insurance,so in reality its a CON.but like having to pay for your ncd protection its another on going cost,and yet most of us do that automatically without a thought.

+1. It is worth it. They do all the work especially if there is an injury involved.

Plus with legal cover you can claim your policy excess back.

Yeah it's definitely worth it, I think mine was about £35 extra for the year.

This doesn't just cover you and making a claim, if someone makes a PI claim against you, your liability cover will cover the compo but the legal firms will look to recover their costs from you.

Indeed it is worth it for the peace of mind. Just remember though that you will have to use a solicitor that the insurance company select from their 'panel'. So if for example, you have used a local solicitor for other matters in the past and you can't praise them enough so you want to use them again, the insurance company would say that if you use them, we aren't paying up on the legal cover front.

I have membership with freemotorlegal.co.uk check it out.

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

I have it, and given I have had two knocks the first is still ongoing, the estimated bill is about 1800 which I dont have to pay, the second is in process and they would otherwise treat it as a no win no fee, and if they won they would take 25% as the charge. Its worth it as you get every penny your entitled to should it occur and the solicitors also seem more proactive to getting your case done more quickly I heard from one solicitor that no win no fee means they tend to drag on for an extra 6 months minimum. not sure of the truth in it, but it makes some sense as there is no real incentive to getting done sooner.

yeah i wish they did legal cover here maybe they do maybe they dont but i certainly dont see it advertised over here so i take it they dont do it, ill have to look into it if they do it ill be adding it to my policy cause when i had my claim i had to hand over a fair amount of the settlement to my solicitor and he tried his best to drag it on

• Like 1

Thanks All,

I added that and a guaranteed Hire car and it came to £49pm with a bigger first payment as always.

Definatly seems worth it.

49 a month? Seems a lot when you do it that way!

Thats good for me haha, Paid £86 for first payment followed by £49pm about £610 for the year.

I never have enough to pay it off at once lol.

When i first got the focus i was around £75-£80 pm lol.

I still feel cheated though ive been driving since 2008 did Pass plus and had no reportable accidents (had some but minor & on vauxhalls) or convictions. :unsure:

It's crazy, but I misunderstood u thought that was an additional amount per month for legal cover...

^ LOL anyone paying that just for legal cover will be either and or, Celebrity, high profile criminal, s*x offender, drug user or just plain lunatic, or epileptic, insurance is very high for those guys, 3 seizures in your life and instaban from the road.

• Like 1

I would never had said yes if it was that price haha :P

or epileptic, insurance is very high for those guys, 3 seizures in your life and instaban from the road.

That's not quite right to be fair. I speak from personal experience too. One confirmed seizure and you surrender your licence (even if it's a sleep seizure). You must be 12 month seizure free before you can apply for it again. Insurance isn't any more expensive at all. If you have got your licence back, the insurance company are happy because the DVLA have declared you fit to drive by re-issuing your licence. That process in itself requires medical evidence which they can obtain from your GP and neurologist.

Agreed, one of our friends is epileptic, she was all but a week put from being granted her license and going back to refresh and retake her test and she had a minor seizure in the night. The clock resets!

Indeed. Also worth mentioning that if you go for 3 years with nothing but sleep seizures, the DVLA (with medical evidence) will re-issue your licence on the basis that they are satisfied you won't have any at the wheel.

That's odd, because my wife is. being serious too not trolling.

Had 2 in the past 2 years and cannot have another otherwise she gets banned and then loses her job etc.

I think the 3 seizures thing comes in (if I recall correctly) because it may need 3 seizures before a doctor can say for certain that is what it was (unless it is a grand mal seizure - i.e. blatantly obvious to the doctor).

Her company couldn't sack her or make her redundant if she couldn't drive anymore as a result of epilepsy. Huge breach of the Equality Act 2010 and they would get destroyed in court! - Notable exception to such discrimination is the armed forces.

Give Epilepsy Action Helpline a ring. I'm a member and have always found them most helpful. Insurance cost certainly isn't an issue for me and never has been.

• Like 1

Her company couldn't sack her or make her redundant if she couldn't drive anymore as a result of epilepsy. Huge breach of the Equality Act 2010 and they would get destroyed in court! - Notable exception to such discrimination is the armed forces.

This is what's good about the legal system in this country, but what about people whose jobs are only to drive, like lorry drivers? Would they have to be offered a position working in an office?

This is what's good about the legal system in this country, but what about people whose jobs are only to drive, like lorry drivers? Would they have to be offered a position working in an office?

You will find that their contract will specify a Licence is essential for their job.

Withdrawl due to previously undiagnosed medical conditions is not grounds for dismissal though.

It is usually a case of finding them something different to do until they may get their licence back but always consider the rights of the person involved. They may wish to leave that employment of their own accord or accept a pay off.

I don't profess to know all the aspects but they certainly couldn't get rid of someone on those grounds without falling foul of the said Act.

Totally agree.

The Equality Act would definitely be in play there.

Alternative positions would have to be offered (if available) but the employee would not be obliged to accept them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club