Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Auto/rain And Light Installing Problem

nealej

G'day from Australia,I drive a Ford Focus xr5 2008 2.5lt turbo ( think its the same model as your mk2 225 ) anyhow I have read your posts about this mod.Have bought the New Windscreen with a new sensor ,Auto light switch, Dimming mirror, just about completed this mod but the auto lights/wipers don't work,The mirror works and there's power to the sensor with the switch is in auto mode and the wiper stalk in intermitate mode. Nothing just the wipers moving every 5 sec depending on the position of the timer??. Do i just need to activated it ,so i'll have to buy one of these ELM plugin things I guess, cause Ford over here have not heard of the ford xr5s having this optional extra (we aren't as lucky as you folks) , Only our RSs and mk3 Lw models have this optional extra. So I'm puzzled, I've read somewhere that I need a 'Light control module '?? this communicates between the sensor and the Auto switch, (I think ) knows when to turn on when its raining or getting dark? (its suppose to be under the dash drivers side footwell area held in place by two torx screws (if anyone has a photo of it, in its position I would really appreciate it) or do need to buy one, has anyone heard of this? or do I just buy this ELM program to activate the Sensor/headlights to work , Please help me finish this project.I have Google but have hit a brick wall at what else I can do.Cheers Neale.

After all parts and wiring of the auto lights and windscreen wipers are installed you have to activate these functions in the software of the GEM module/fuse box. This can be done with a modified ELM327 interface and the ELMconfig software.

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the auto lights and windscreen wipers are fully controlled by the GEM module/fuse box. The HCM (Headlight Control Module) has nothing to do with the auto lights and windscreen wipers. The HCM is only present on cars with AFL (Adaptive Front Lighting) or HID headlights.

In some rare cases it is necessary to change the GEM module/fuse box to get the auto lights and windscreen wipers to work. On low spec versions of the GEM module/fuse box these functions may not be supported. Which version of the GEM module/fuse box is installed depends on the options of the car.

• Like 1

Thanks Wilco,I so hope its that easy (activating this with a simple program ) So my next obvious question is How do I know if I have the correct fuse box? sorry but can you educate me in regards to what is the GEM module (is this another word for fuse box) What are the difference in the two Model #s or pics?

The ELM327 sold from The company 'Tunnelrat Electronic ' is that the one you would recommend or somewhere else. Thanks for your time

The GEM module/fuse box is basically a computer controlled (CANbus) fuse box (this is the interior fuse box). Most of the relays are integrated onto the circuit board of the module. There are a lot of different versions (I counted over 30 different part numbers) of the GEM module/fuse box which all support different options. The lower spec versions of the GEM module/fuse box do support less options than the higher spec versons. During production Ford installed a version which equals the options of the car. Lower spec cars have a lower spec GEM module/fuse box while higher spec cars have a high spec version.

Unfortunately there is no information about the supported options of the different types of GEM module/fuse box. As a replacement Ford only offers 1 type of GEM module/fuse box. This is the high spec version which supports every possible option.

To activate the settings of the GEM module/fuse box you can basically use very ELM327 interface as long as it is modified for the MS-CANbus system.

Thank you Wilco, so I've had a look at my fuse box the model finishes with jc so I'm hoping I won't need to change the fuse panel.When you say modified Elm327 unit is that the one Preee Posted many years go? Hey have you read if there's any problems with this modified ELM327 UNIT.THANKS AGAIN.

OK,so I've found on eBay a New USB Modified ELM327 Elmconfig Forscan Ford the seller is autofixdirect 11.95 pounds. Would this be ok to activate my Auto wipers/Headlights ?I've come across a few different types.?? I typed in ELM327 Modified... came up with different types....

I'm getting confused on which one to buy, if you think this will be ok ,I'll purchase this unit otherwise.

ELM327 OBD2 USB Modified Switch Forscan Elmconfig Ford Focus Mondeo Mazda
How about this one??

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club