Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres Look Squashed But Right Pressure?

Sweetx

Hi everyone I'm new here and needed some advice. I have a 2007 fiesta 1.4 tdci (brought recently second hand this is my first car). I have been checking the tyre pressure lately and have made sure they were inflated to the recommended pressure for my wheel size which is 29psi front and 26psi rear. But they look incredibly squashed at the front like they are not inflated enough. I've googled this problem so many times and cant really find a similar problem. Should they look like that?

Thanks for any advice

Is it definitely 29psi for the fronts! Just seems a bit low.

Thanks for replying Mark! Yes here is the piccy from inside the door. I have the 195/50/15 tyres on

post-64654-0-96655500-1428751217_thumb.j

Some tyres do just have soft sidewalls and will always look deflated. Are they Uniroyal Rainsports? Those are notorious for looking flat even at 36psi+!

You can try a bit more air in them if you like (32psi I'd try) but if they feel like they're 'wandering' at speed then reduce the pressure again. Pressure is down to feel rather than looks, but as it's only your first car you probably won't have the experience of different tyre feel yet.

Ok thankyou. I wanted to inflate them a bit but I didnt want to compromise on safety as I have my 6 year old in the car most of the time! I'm not even sure what make they are I have a few different brands on there at the mo, waiting til next month payday to get a lovely new set!

Pressure is not "down to feel rather than looks". If you overinflate your tyres you'll get excessive wear at the centre of the tread. Underinflation gives wear at the sides of the tread. No matter how squashed they look you want equal wear across the width of the tyres. This means they'll last longer, but more importantly, you get the maximum contact area between the wheels and the road.

Just check your tyres regularly for the wear pattern and condition and stick to the recommended pressures. Only inflate or deflate slightly if the wear is wrong for the car plus load weight.

Hi everyone I'm new here and needed some advice. I have a 2007 fiesta 1.4 tdci (brought recently second hand this is my first car). I have been checking the tyre pressure lately and have made sure they were inflated to the recommended pressure for my wheel size which is 29psi front and 26psi rear. But they look incredibly squashed at the front like they are not inflated enough. I've googled this problem so many times and cant really find a similar problem. Should they look like that?

Thanks for any advice

I thought the same about mine when I first started driving it, I took it to the tyre fitters they said that some tyres dont always hold the tyre wells correctly (especially if they're budget tyres) but they reassured me its fine and not an issue. They told me the only thing I should maintain on my tyres is the air pressure. BTW, just wondering but your air pressure seems to be quite low, I was told mine are 30 front 28 rear and 30 around if i've taking a full car with luggage. Doesnt your car have bigger wheels? Even if they're the same size wheels i would've thought you needed more pressure because the diesel lump in your car is far heavier than my petrol lump. Take it to your local tyre fitters, most of them are quite friendly, and they'll check it. Because the manufactureres recommended tyre pressures are assumptions/ estimates. So they can tell you exactly what psi you need.

32 all round can't go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Same here.

Yeah I run 30-32 on my 16" wheels

Pressure is not "down to feel rather than looks". If you overinflate your tyres you'll get excessive wear at the centre of the tread. Underinflation gives wear at the sides of the tread. No matter how squashed they look you want equal wear across the width of the tyres. This means they'll last longer, but more importantly, you get the maximum contact area between the wheels and the road.

Just check your tyres regularly for the wear pattern and condition and stick to the recommended pressures. Only inflate or deflate slightly if the wear is wrong for the car plus load weight.

I agree with most of that...but it IS down to feel as well, wear patterns take ages to see, you can feel instantly if you're at the wrong pressure! Too low gives heavy steering and sloppy cornering, too high makes it feel unstable at speed. The recommended pressures are applicable to the manufacturers specified tyres, most people won't use those after the original set wear out and different tyres do take different pressures even at the same size.

I always go by what the tyre recommends my 16inch wheels are all max 44psi so I go 40.

40psi!? Have you got any ride comfort left lol, they must be solid!

I've always done that. Lol. To be fair my car has zero ride comfort as I had it lowered.

I have a 2007 fiesta 1.4 tdci (brought recently second hand this is my first car). I have been checking the tyre pressure lately and have made sure they were inflated to the recommended pressure for my wheel size which is 29psi front and 26psi rear. But they look incredibly squashed at the front like they are not inflated enough. I've googled this problem so many times and cant really find a similar problem. Should they look like that?

Curious. The plate you photograph doesn't seem to tie up with the book. It seems they ought to be 33/26. The steering might be stodgy at the lower pressure but it's not low enough that they would go pop at normal sensible speeds. No harm experimenting.

By comparison, cars back in the 70's had 80 profile tyres and typical pressure around 24psi. They really did look like balloons. If you ever see an example you won't worry again.

Thank you all so much for your replies!

David what does that mean? Do you think its the wrong sticker on my car or something? I'm a bit worried now!!

• Like 1

I thought the same about mine when I first started driving it, I took it to the tyre fitters they said that some tyres dont always hold the tyre wells correctly (especially if they're budget tyres) but they reassured me its fine and not an issue. They told me the only thing I should maintain on my tyres is the air pressure. BTW, just wondering but your air pressure seems to be quite low, I was told mine are 30 front 28 rear and 30 around if i've taking a full car with luggage. Doesnt your car have bigger wheels? Even if they're the same size wheels i would've thought you needed more pressure because the diesel lump in your car is far heavier than my petrol lump. Take it to your local tyre fitters, most of them are quite friendly, and they'll check it. Because the manufactureres recommended tyre pressures are assumptions/ estimates. So they can tell you exactly what psi you need.

All I know about the size of my wheels is what I said earlier, 195/50/15 haha, so no idea if they're 'bigger'?

Im not blonde I promise!

• Like 1

It said to fill mine to 32 front and 26 rear, is that not right?!

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Stick to the pressure on the label you have taken the picture of im pretty sure that ford test the correct pressure before releasing a car onto the market

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 2

Tyre pressures are so important. It not only gives maximum grip and contact with the road but remember the tyre also forms part of the suspension. Wrong pressures can affect how a tyre performs in cornering and heavy braking conditions and if you say get into a corner to fast the tyre cannot do its job as it should, so you really should follow the car manufacturers recommendations.

Having over or under-inflated tyres is three points per corner if plod is pedantic.

Sorry but 40 PSI is ridiculous !

• Like 1

Tyre pressures are so important. It not only gives maximum grip and contact with the road but remember the tyre also forms part of the suspension. Wrong pressures can affect how a tyre performs in cornering and heavy braking conditions and if you say get into a corner to fast the tyre cannot do its job as it should, so you really should follow the car manufacturers recommendations.

Having over or under-inflated tyres is three points per corner if plod is pedantic.

Is it really 3 points? I never knew that.

My tyres say max 44psi so have always gone just below at 40.

Surely if you change your tyres you should go with what the tyre says because they are not the same as original. Or have I been doing it wrong in the 10 years I've been driving lol.?

A wouldn't say 40psi is ridiculous well under certain times not all the time

My fronts go to 36 a think have to double check that one but the rears go to 46......this is only with heavy loads tho I do carry a heavy load now and again and i have it as that and when only me in car fronts at 31..... Rears go to 26 and this is all recommended by Ford for my tyre size

At first a thought that was mental but after carrying the heavy loads at these psi it works well

Remember those tyres you're buying can go on different cars with different loads, so the same tyre could go on say a fiesta and it needs 30psi but that same tyre on say a audi might need 35psi to support its load.

Not quite as tyres have a load rating so should only be on similar rated cars.

Karlos, I would say you've been doing it wrong for 10 years I'm afraid lol. Way I'd have done it is see what Ford recommend for your tyre size, then if they don't feel right or wear right change the pressure slightly until they do. The maximum is just the maximum pressure that they can take without exploding, it doesn't have any bearing on how they will work on your car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club