Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Judder

James.jerrum

Hi i have a 2008 fiesta zetec 3dr and in first when pulling of it judders but all other gears are fine and it's also ok if you pull of very slowly. Any ideas just hoping it's not a new clutch

Either weak springs on clutch plate or the clutch is contaminated. Probably looking at a new clutch realistically. My focus did the same thing for 2 years so it can last if you treat it nicely, giving you time to save up etc if you need to.

It's usually caused by oil contamination of driven plate facings from a seal, usually gearbox oil seal.

Can also be a loose engine or gearbox mounting

My mark 1 Focus had the same thing for some time until my clutch shattered.(oops). it went 100 yards from my house the next day after completing a 500 mile round trip.

I'd get it looked at and start saving up personally. If you're potentially loosing fluids, it is best to know far sooner than later.

Took it to the garage and he said there could be moisture in the clutch

That's one way of describing oil contamination!

Moisture, as in water, wouldn't cause it, you'd need gallons of it in bell housing. Heat from engine/gearbox would evaporate it.

Either way it sounds like it needs a new clutch assembly, all 3 components, cover assembly,driven plate and release bearing. Foolish not to change them all at same time.

Have engine and gearbox oil seals checked too at same time, to avoid same thing happening again.

Also make sure the garage don't "lather" first motion shaft in copper slip/grease, that just gets splattered all over clutch linings when engine is rotating and results in judder and or clutch slip. Should only have a light smear on splines on first motion shaft, or nothing at all.

I used to see the problem with grease contamination a lot in my old job, you'd be surprised at the number of mechanics make that mistake.

We used to test our clutch assemblies to the ford engine specs ( we were an OE supplier of clutches to them). We had to test them to an equivalent of 100,000 miles. In practice we reckoned a new OE clutch, correctly fitted and adjusted, AND driven properly would be good for 70,000 miles, and an RP (replacement part) would be good for 30,000 miles.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club