Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fao Tdci Owners - Maf Cleaning

m1tch

Hi all,

You might have noticed that I have posted up a few threads over the past month since owing my mk6 Fiesta 1.4TDCi. Its on 107k miles and has had an ok life, I have a feeling that its done quite a bit of town driving in its early miles with some longer drives for the 2nd owner (looking at the MOT mileage etc).

Anyway, the car has been driving fine and I did find that removing the intake snorkel to the airbox which did help a bit with performance due to additional airflow. I know that the car has had the injector O rings replaced as well so those are correctly sealed and it idles well.

I did notice when I was modding the airbox that the MAF looked fairly clean but I wouldn't say shiny or new. It looked as if it had a thin film of oil mist over it which makes sense considering the oil breather pipe is slightly further downstream. So over the 107k miles some of the vapor might have coated the inside of the rubber pipe with a thin film of oil.

I then decided to give the MAF a clean with some contact cleaner - this is a solvent that leaves no residue. Basically you just spray the cleaner lightly onto the sensors (be careful as they are delicate) and then let dry. Looking at the 1.4 TDCi MAF I found that there is a small scoop which I also sprayed some cleaner in.

I just wanted to flag this up to anyone who had a TDCi and feels the performance is a bit flat, I was ok with the performance of the car before cleaning the MAF. After the MAF cleaning the car feels completely different and much more responsive - basically a free performance mod.

I think what was happening with my car with a slightly dirty MAF was that the engine was getting more air than it though and therefore didn't fuel accordingly. Now with a clean MAF the engine is getting the correct air flow signal and fueling correctly.

• Like 1

What contact cleaner did you use and where will I be able to get it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What contact cleaner did you use and where will I be able to get it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Its just some basic DP-60 stuff, bought some on eBay, wasn't expensive, key thing is that its electrical contact cleaner so doesn't leave a residue behind.

To remove the MAF from my 1.4TDCi there is a single jubaliee clip connecting the rubber pipe to the turbo inlet plus 2 torx screws holding the MAF onto the airbox. The MAF is held onto the rubber turbo inlet pipe by a special type of clip which are single use (Oetiker one ear clamps I believe), you don't need to remove the MAF from the pipe though as you just need to get at the MAF from the airbox side.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club