Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Cut Out Immobiliser Light Flashing Fast

Gavpeds

Ok so i am not sure what is going on here. Car is a ford focus estate 2005 1.6 tdci euro4

I was on my way to work this morning my diesel was pretty low not quite on the red but have driven several times with it this low so not sure if this is an issue of it being to low or not.

Driving along on the bypass no issues at all. All of a sudden my dash lights up like a Christmas tree, power drops and odometer turns to just lines. I ease off the accelerator thinking what's going on here, as I ease off the power comes back, put my foot down again and couple minutes later happens again, this time power drops totally no limp mode just dies, I pull over. Turn ignition off then try to start, nothing not even a tick, the immobiliser light is flashing like crazy.

So sit for a few minutes lock and unlock the car a few times and it starts, drive a few more yards and it drops in power again. (the garage is literally in site!) so ease off accelerator and crawl to the garage. Top up diesel and then drove another maybe 15 mins without issue.

My question is was this a case of low fuel or something else. Would low fuel cause this and cause the immobiliser to not be read.

Thanks all

Possible temporary fuel starvation ?

When was the fuel filter last changed ?

Not sure when it was last changed to be honest. Only had the car about 8 months

I'd get it changed a.s.a.p. then - regular fuel filter changes are crucial on any diesel engine

Yeah will get it changed, hope that's all it was just thought it odd that immobiliser was flashing fast after cut out and was not allowing to start or turn over.

OK no just happedened again ticking over but accelerator doing nothing stering wheel light with exclamation mark is on. Then suddenly light goes off and eccellorator works until the next time it happens. Ideas please

sounds more to me like a faulty instrument cluster

• Like 1

So just tried the dash fault check thing. These are the codes I am getting. Do they mean anything to anyone???

r0605

Dt5t66

Dt7e52

E510

D900

Dte156

Generic comms error is about all I can get from that as these codes need translating by Ford. You really need a proper code reader

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

D900 high speed can error likely due to ut dying while moving e510 is mileage missing ie when you got the dashes

OK all I think I found the culprit. Read a load about dash cluster issues. Pulled it out and on inspection one of the solder points where the wires plug in is coroded. So thought yep simple resolder and job done but on closer inspection found what looks to be a component missing!

The ones near by all have 116 on them. The number on the board as in pictures of this part is LR9 it does look like there was something there before. Another I found was C801 now this one in pics also does not sem like there was something there before. Any help would be great should I have a component at LR9?

post-66511-0-06708300-1451309741_thumb.j

post-66511-0-52396300-1451309789_thumb.j

post-66511-0-59814000-1451309812_thumb.j

ITS FIXED!!! I did it ha.

The LR9 mentioned above was a light and from what I can see was the wrning light for when doors at left open. I did wonder why I never had this light show.

I was going to replace this but never miss it really.

Anyway cleaned up the circut board. Then I resoldered all contacts on the board which are for the connector to plug into the wire loom at back. There was only one contact coroded but thought just as well do all of them as from all the reading I have been doing its a common issues. So chuffed its fixed and I did it myself saving hundreds.

Well done that man!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Did that solve the issue completely? I'm having exactly the same trouble 

On 2/25/2017 at 11:54 AM, Stu Murdoch said:

Did that solve the issue completely? I'm having exactly the same trouble 

Dashes through the odometer, odd lights on, immobiliser activated. 2006 Focus. That is typical of the Instrument Cluster (IC) fault common on these cars.

I re-soldered the connector pins on my IC last year. It has solved the problem completely, so far, at least.

See: https://www.fordownersclub.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

A good diagnostic system like Forscan would help. It should show lots of CAN bus related DTCs, and I used it to reset the errors and get it working after fixing the pcb.

----- My standard intro to Forscan:

Forscan is a powerful Ford specific system, Cost £15.00 for the interface. Needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available). You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool. James (jeebowhite) has done a nice guide: https://www.fordownersclub.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21196

Forscan works best on a Windows laptop, with a USB ELM. The Tunnelrat one (below) has been reported to work well by several people. Forscan is also available for iOS & Android for some tablets & phones.

For a USB ELM327 adapter, see
http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

Wireless ELMs are also available (bluetooth & WiFi), but are often not as reliable as the wired ones. Also they are rare in the "modified" form which is needed to access the 2nd Ford bus system. This 2nd bus is the MS-CAN bus, and links all the car interior electronics like door modules, and the BCM (aka GEM). But a standard ELM will still work with all the Underbonnet Modules (PCM, ABS etc) and with the IC (Instrument Cluster).

For an bluetooth wireless ELM, which one user at least says works with Forscan, see the KW902: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-KW902-Bluetooth-Scaner-OBD-Link-OBD2-Diagnose-Interface-Tester-white-UK-/281631334205

The Forscan programme is free (in Windows format) and you can get it from:
http://forscan.org/download.html

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club