Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frequent Engine Malfunctions and limp mode (1.6 tdci mk2.5)

jack1997

my mk2.5 focus with 1.6 tdci STYLE engine has intermittent engine malfunctions, the car goes into limp mode. I simply turn it off and then on and its fine again for a few more days or even weeks but will happen again randomly.

the only correlation i can find linked to these malfunctions are that the days where these happens are usually the days when im slightly more heavy footed than usual. But still I dont drive nearly as rough enough to make the engine malfunction, I never abuse the brakes or clutch. 

The glow plugs problem (which previously caused an engine malfunction) has already been addressed and the car is clean of any dtc error codes to signal a DPF issue (im not even sure if you need a dtc error code to signal a dpf issue). So im not sure what to do at this point as everything else seems perfectly fine. The car is always well maintained. 

55 minutes ago, jack1997 said:

car is clean of any dtc error codes

If it is going into limp mode, or a warning light is coming on, there will be DTCs srored somewhere. But most OBD readers are very limited, to basic engine faults.

You need a system like Forscan, which is a powerful Ford specific system. Cost £15.00 for the interface. Needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available).

You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool. Post here if you want more info.

Note: Simply reading the codes can do no harm, and does not change anything. Just do not reset the codes (and you would have to ask the scanner to do this) if you are going to take the car to a garage.

James (jeebowhite) has done a nice guide: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21196

For an ELM327 adapter, see
http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

you will also need a program called Forscan, its free and you can get it from

http://forscan.org/download.html

Peter.

PS: Has your mate's Fiesta recovered, or have you done it in good & properlaugh.png

As Peter says what were you using to read the error codes?

Suitable diagnostics can read much more than just power train codes like a generic code reader.

Powertrain codes can cause the MIL to illuminate as can the FACM, EGR valve issues, cluster issues, VNT vane issues (if it's 110bhp), glow plugs and just about anything else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2016 at 1:27 AM, Tdci-Peter said:

If it is going into limp mode, or a warning light is coming on, there will be DTCs srored somewhere. But most OBD readers are very limited, to basic engine faults.

You need a system like Forscan, which is a powerful Ford specific system. Cost £15.00 for the interface. Needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, Bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available).

You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool. Post here if you want more info.

Note: Simply reading the codes can do no harm, and does not change anything. Just do not reset the codes (and you would have to ask the scanner to do this) if you are going to take the car to a garage.

James (jeebowhite) has done a nice guide: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21196

For an ELM327 adapter, see
http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

you will also need a program called Forscan, its free and you can get it from

http://forscan.org/download.html

Peter.

PS: Has your mate's Fiesta recovered, or have you done it in good & properlaugh.png

well im definitely gonna have to get that then, seeing as i really wanna keep my ford for the long term

thanks for that, very helpful.

and the fiesta apparently didnt even have much coolant to begin with haha, it completely overheated and the coolant was very low. we tried topping it up but it just leaked out again. its gone to the garage but my expectations are low anyway lol.

• Like 1

Sounds very much like what was happening to my Focus as I also had a 1.6 TDCi.

I would highly recommend you get the codes read soon because you could be heading towards a completely blocked DPF or injector failure. I was unlucky and had both on mine and my engine ran it's self to oblivion. 

How often does it get serviced and how often do you change your oil?

Edit: These engines are notorious for the above issues.

2 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Sounds very much like what was happening to my Focus as I also had a 1.6 TDCi.

I would highly recommend you get the codes read soon because you could be heading towards a completely blocked DPF or injector failure. I was unlucky and had both on mine and my engine ran it's self to oblivion. 

How often does it get serviced and how often do you change your oil?

Edit: These engines are notorious for the above issues.

oh man, are there any measures i can start taking to prevent the likeliness of these things happening?

the car has also been mot checked the other day, wouldnt the issues have been recognised then?

MOTs check for road worthiness, not for faults as such. for example, does the car work, yes, is it pumping out smoke?, no. good, all is well then pass. that doesn't mean to say your injectors aren't almost  nackard or the DPF is at the end of its life.

There are plenty of things the 1.6 tdci needs to remain fit and healthy.

First and foremost - oil changes every 6k

Secondly - Blank off the EGR valve.

Thirdly - Drive it correctly, by that I mean use it as it was designed for, long driving, sustained high temps, motorways. Not city driving, constant start stop or only using it on motorways at peek traffic so your spendthe trip crawling along.  it needs a good 20 min at 2500 RPM or there abouts as often as you can drive it.

everything else is just keeping an eye on stuff, look for the black creep of injector leaks, every now and then use something like redex or even better BG 244 in the fuel system. 

I also went to the effort of adding an oil catch can to help prevent oil getting burnt and building up carbon in the intake manifold.

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

MOTs check for road worthiness, not for faults as such. for example, does the car work, yes, is it pumping out smoke?, no. good, all is well then pass. that doesn't mean to say your injectors aren't almost  nackard or the DPF is at the end of its life.

There are plenty of things the 1.6 tdci needs to remain fit and healthy.

First and foremost - oil changes every 6k

Secondly - Blank off the EGR valve.

Thirdly - Drive it correctly, by that I mean use it as it was designed for, long driving, sustained high temps, motorways. Not city driving, constant start stop or only using it on motorways at peek traffic so your spendthe trip crawling along.  it needs a good 20 min at 2500 RPM or there abouts as often as you can drive it.

everything else is just keeping an eye on stuff, look for the black creep of injector leaks, every now and then use something like redex or even better BG 244 in the fuel system. 

I also went to the effort of adding an oil catch can to help prevent oil getting burnt and building up carbon in the intake manifold.

Thank you, once I get the car checked out and if it's not on its way out I'm gonna blank the egr ASAP as soon as I can afford too. oil is always regularly changed every few thousand miles or so, but I don't drive it regularly for its proper purpose. Apart from the occasional road trips I live in the city and do deliveries I the suburbs two evenings a week. I need to change my driving habits. Gonna buy some redex today, although I do always fuel with shell v power which apparently has similar cleaning capabilities. Let's hope the for the best.

if you aren't driving it properly then I would suggest doing something a little more naughty and fix that DPF permanently.  the problem is the soot requires high sustained temps to turn it in to ash, if your just doing start stop driving it will never burn off the soot and it will simply fill up and cause problems.  the DPF will fill up with ash eventually as well so even driving properly will not prevent an expensive bill in the future, but it would delay that (and potentially save unnecessary wear on the turbo as well)..... unless you "fix" it ;)

6 hours ago, jack1997 said:

any measures i can start taking to prevent the likeliness of these things happening

Regarding DPF problems & short runs,

Forscan can display things like Distance since last Regen, and Distance to Ash Full (an estimate of remaining life of DPF)

It can also confirm when a regen takes place, and if the exhaust temp was high enough to regen properly.

It can even trigger a forced regen, on the driveway, for cases where normal active regen on the road is not practical or possible. Tom (Tomsfocus) has tried this.

Unfortunately, no one has come up with simple rules for things like regen interval, or "normal" DPs (Pressure drop in DPF due to blockage). "It has a mind of its own" has been said more than once, about the DPF system on the DV6. But Forscan gives some clues, and can show trends or changes.

On 30 July 2016 at 6:35 PM, Dee_82 said:

if you aren't driving it properly then I would suggest doing something a little more naughty and fix that DPF permanently.  the problem is the soot requires high sustained temps to turn it in to ash, if your just doing start stop driving it will never burn off the soot and it will simply fill up and cause problems.  the DPF will fill up with ash eventually as well so even driving properly will not prevent an expensive bill in the future, but it would delay that (and potentially save unnecessary wear on the turbo as well)..... unless you "fix" it ;)

"Fixing" shouldn't be a problem, my main concern is issues regarding MOT :(

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jack1997 said:

"Fixing" shouldn't be a problem, my main concern is issues regarding MOT :(

I want to have my DPF fixed but won't because of the MOT situation 

MOT situation is as clear as mud, if they cant see something they cant fail it.

I think there was some talk of EuroV engines getting some further test in the future, making sure it works or something like that, Ive not heard anything more on that at all though, so perhaps its rubbish.  @iantt Might know If there is any truth in that?

2018 there probably be obd testing instead or optional to tail pipe emmisions testing on euro 5 and 6 emmisions

this is coming from the eu, so maybe it wont happen if we are out of eu by then?
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iantt said:

this is coming from the eu, so maybe it wont happen if we are out of eu

I suspect English law will remain firmly linked to EU regulations for a very long time. The difficulties in dis-entangling it all will take decades. And the importance of free international trade will remain paramount.

So a check at the garage showed no fault codes regarding dpf. The only fault codes were from the fuel filter, fuel injector sensors or camshaft sensors. The man said this model of the car may not even have a dpf (08 plate) which is strange as my road tax does cost £30.

Anyway, I'm glad there's no serious issue regarding dpf. I'll keep the thread updated for anyone else who may be having my similar issues. 

is it the 110 or the 90 you have? with a road tax of 30 on a diesel id have thought it would almost certainly be the 110 with the DPF.

Fuel pressure is a big problem on this car, seems the flter gets blocked up real easy, consider changing it every 12k

2 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

is it the 110 or the 90 you have? with a road tax of 30 on a diesel id have thought it would almost certainly be the 110 with the DPF.

Fuel pressure is a big problem on this car, seems the flter gets blocked up real easy, consider changing it every 12k

it is the 90. could that explain it?