Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I buy a Focus with Powershift?

Trevor from Cardiff

Hello,

Looking for some advice/guidance.

I am looking at buying a 2012 Focus 2.0TDCi with the Powershift gearbox. The car has 60k miles on it and supposedly full service history.

This morning I decided to try and do some searching on any possible problems that the car might have... And lots of threads turned up about the Powershift gearbox.

I have test driven the car and didn't notice the problem. In fact I was really impressed.

I know if you search the internet looking for problems there will undoubtedly be someone with the problems... :)

But, are these gearboxes reliable? Would you recommend me steering clear of this car?

I cannot afford to make a mistake as it's quite an expensive car for me and I would be in deep trouble if I had expensive gearbox problems...?

What do you think?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Trev

• 11 months later...

I'd say this is worth a watch ... I find Cadogan an entertaining "know-it-all"!

To be honest most DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) gearboxes are inherently unreliable; you may have heard about VW's DSG gearbox and its reliability and drivability issues too.

The Powershift suffers from the same sort of problems like bogging down/juddering when setting off and also failures aren't uncommon; however Ford fit these gearboxes to thousands of cars so there may be an issue with a few especially where they haven't been serviced properly or had the fluid changed, but you'll get that with any car.

Have a look here:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/focus-2011/?section=good

Is there any reason why you need an auto? 

• Like 1