Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK1.5 Misfiring? Coil?

cjg199

Hi,

Ive got a 53 Plate Mk1.5 1.6 with 70000 Miles on the clock. Its recently started to cut in and out under acceleration from a cold start and under hard acceleration.

Im assuming its misfiring, my first thought was the coil as my old focus did similar things and i changed that and it was fine.

But when the car is at running temperature its far less common for it to occur and when it does its not as bad. The car runs fine at speed and will sit at 70mph and above.. ;) perfectly fine.

Its also struggling to start on a cold start as well.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,

Chris

8 hours ago, cjg199 said:

Its recently started to cut in and out under acceleration from a cold start and under hard acceleration

It could still be the coil pack, failures in there don't have to get worse at higher temperature.

Cold start & hard acceleration both need more voltage to get a good spark, as the cylinder mixture pressure is higher.

No warning lights on?

I think you will have to go to the old list of suspects: Plugs (gap & condition), Leads, coil pack, wiring to coil pack.

If it is cutting in & out suddenly, then fuel/mixture problems are less likely. Bad injector is possible though.

Crank & Cam sensors are possible culprits, but in most cars major faults on these usually light a warning lamp with an error code.

Might be worth using an OBD2 scanner on it anyway, there can be codes present without the light on, that could point to a fault.

Finally got round to trying it today, changed the coil from my other car. Runs perfect. Problem solved. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club