Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Info on some DTC errors, read with FORScan

dentex

Hello,

I recently bought a cheap EML327 Chinese cable and while using it with FORScan, I found many fault codes from different modules.

From what I understand, errors starting with "U" should be nothing worrying, but what about the others? I'll attach here the text file, in case anyone with more experience would like to take a look.

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

===PCM DTC P1402-61===
Code: P1402 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Metering Orifice Restricted

Additional Fault Symptom:
 - Signal is Above Maximum Threshold

- DTC Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Metering Orifice Restricted

===END PCM DTC P1402-61===

===ABS DTC U1900-A0===
Code: U1900 - CAN Communication Bus Fault - Receive Error

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

Module: Anti-Lock Brake / Traction Control Module

CAN Communication Bus Fault - Receive Error

This DTC may be caused by :

CAN communication fault

EPB coded on a non EPB vehicle.

There is a time out between two modules on the CAN bus

Other modules incorrectly occupy the CAN bus.

There is Interference on the CAN bus

Check the wiring harness

Note:

DTCs that start with 'U' are faults which occur during module-to-module communication.

Modules should never be replaced based only on a 'U' code. These codes do not always indicate a problem, and can be caused by normal diagnostic functions, carried out on the vehicle.

Select the PID B902 from the Datalogger to make sure the ABS module is still communicating with the PCM module.

Run the PCM Self-Test and rectify any DTC found. Then re-run ABS Self-Test.

===END ABS DTC U1900-A0===

===HCM DTC U1900-30===
Code: U1900 - CAN communication bus fault

- Test not complete

Module: Headlamp Control Module

CAN communication bus fault

This DTC may be caused by :

This code is set when a fault has been detected on the CAN bus.

Open Circuit

Short Circuit

Note:

Modules should never be replaced based only on a 'U' code. These codes do not always indicate a problem, and can be caused by normal diagnostic functions, carried out on the vehicle.

Damaged or contaminated connector

===END HCM DTC U1900-30===

===EPS DTC U1900-20===
Code: U1900 - Missing Message for Engine Speed

Module: Electronic-Controlled Power Steering

CAN Communication Bus Fault (missing messages)

Possible causes are:

Missing Message for Engine Speed

Engine RPM Data Invalid

Vehicle Speed Data Invalid

Check CAN Wiring/CAN Network is functioning.

Note:

DTCs that start with 'U' are faults which occur during module-to-module communication.

===END EPS DTC U1900-20===

===IC DTC U1900-20===

Module: Instrument Cluster

Note:

===END IC DTC U1900-20===

===PDM DTC B166A-60===
Code: B166A - Heated Mirror Circuit Open

Module: Passengers Door Control Unit

===END PDM DTC B166A-60===

===PDM DTC U0202-20===
Code: U0202 - Lost Communication With Door Control Module D

===END PDM DTC U0202-20===

===PDM DTC U1900-20===

Note:

===END PDM DTC U1900-20===

===DFDM DTC C198F-20===
Code: C198F - Lost Communication with Switch Pack

Module: Driver Door Control Unit

===END DFDM DTC C198F-20===

===DFDM DTC U0201-20===
Code: U0201 - Lost Communication With Door Control Module C

===END DFDM DTC U0201-20===

===DFDM DTC U1900-20===

Note:

===END DFDM DTC U1900-20===

===RCM DTC None===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: Restraint Control Module

===END RCM DTC None===

===EATC DTC None===

Module: Electronic Automatic Temperature Control

===END EATC DTC None===

===ACM DTC None===

Module: Audio Control Module

===END ACM DTC None===

===GEM DTC None===

Module: Generic Electronic Module

===END GEM DTC None===

DCT.txt

1 hour ago, dentex said:

found many fault codes from different modules.

From what I understand, errors starting with "U" should be nothing worrying

Hi, It is very difficult to know what to make of that lot.

It is not really true that U codes can be ignored. The occasional U code, especially U1900, does crop up because of the operation of the diagnostic system, possibly when plugging in or starting up. It can corrupt other messages on the CAN bus. (The ELM connects to the CAN bus.) But frequent U codes suggest either a fault with the car CAN bus, or a fault in the ELM.

The classic Focus IC problem is a fault on the CAN bus, and generates lots of U codes. But your car is a bit out of the normal date range for this, and it does not look quite like the IC fault lists I have seen before. Especially as quite a few of the DTCs are on the MS-CAN bus.

One key question, was the MIL light on before the diagnostic check run? It is stated as being on for the U1900 error in the  ABS module. If on before the ELM was plugged in, that suggests the error happened  before, in the car.

Any fault symptoms?

If not, keep the record, clear the DTCs and re-try. And repeat as you wish.

If using the ELM creates the U codes, and puts the MIL light on, try another one. I presume it is a USB ELM. The one recommended to me, and I have recommended to others, is: http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

Peter.

Thanks for your valuable reply, Peter.

What do you mean by MIL ligh? The only light I had on for a while, it was the Immobilizer Light. It showed up when my mechanic reprogrammed the ECU to fix the mess another guy made some years ago when "removing" the DPF (OT, but needed to understand this part: the guy removed physically the DPF, but instead of reprogramming the ECU, he reset just the codes for the DTC, so I didn't have any fault code, neither the ones unrelated to the DPF, until my mechanic fixed this mess buying some custom firmwares with the DPF disabled. He also disconnected the module dedicated to the DPF, the one physically located behind the rear passenger seats.).

The Immobilizer lights was remaining on while running, until I did the rear-defrost-button test, last week.

The same day I started to play with ELMConfig, but it was after the light went away with the defrost-button test.

I hope this all makes sense for you.

Anyway: part on resetting the errors understood. I was thinking the same thing, to do a "fresh" start and see what happen.

2 hours ago, dentex said:

What do you mean by MIL ligh?

Malfunction Indicator Lamp, more usually known as the engine warning lamp.

It just that the Forscan log said that the MIL was On for the U1900 DTC in the ABS module.

If you did not see this light, then it seems it was not on before the test. Thus it was the test that either made it come on, or reported it was on, when it was not on. Either way, dodgy ELM is suggested

I do not understand the links between DPF disabling, PATS & the defrost test. However re-programming ECUs can have odd side effects.

The EGR DTC (P1402), if real, could be the EGR sensor reading high, or the EGR system valves (EGR, Throttle valve, Intter cooler By-Pass). But this code can appear, then got appear again.

...If you did not see this light, then it seems it was not on before the test. Thus it was the test that either made it come on, or reported it was on, when it was not on. Either way, dodgy ELM is suggested

Yes, no light before the test. So I suppose this must be the case.

I do not understand the links between DPF disabling, PATS & the defrost test. However re-programming ECUs can have odd side effects.

Sorry if I was not clear... Let's skip this part.

The EGR DTC (P1402), if real, could be the EGR sensor reading high, or the EGR system valves (EGR, Throttle valve, Intter cooler By-Pass). But this code can appear, then got appear again.

Ok then, as suggested, I'll clear all DTC errors (is it safe, right?) and see how it goes with future readings. I'm also waiting for another (cheap...) bluetooth ELM gadget, to be used with Torque on the smartphone.

Thanks for your help. Highly appreciated.

After clearing it all, I have also this one (I suspect I have to wait this winter to check it):

===PDM DTC B166A-60===
Code: B166A - Heated Mirror Circuit Open

===END PDM DTC B166A-60===

Also, every time I opened ELMConfig (I touched the HEC to enable the DDS, Deflation Detection System) I had a DTC there.

So should be the communication with this cheap ELM cable that may cause some problem... Anyway left all clear (except for the above mentioned PDM's fault).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dentex said:

'll clear all DTC errors (is it safe, right?)

I know of no side effects to clearing DTCs.

There are two dangers: Clearing DTCs is not a substitute for dealing with real problems! But a one off (or very rare) DTC with no other symptoms is unlikely to be a real problem. And you may need to clear DTCs several times while diagnosing or dealing with any problem.

Clearing DTCs will annoy a garage if you are planning or needing to take the car in for repair. The log would help, but they like to see the DTCs in place.

Keep testing. Some of the original DTCs could have been quite old, relating to some previous event. It does look like there is a minor problem with a mirror heater, but that is not important, on its own.

• Like 1

Thanks mate. Understood. This is exactly what I'm going to do. Wait for now and then re-check in a while, to see what's happened and if any other DTC has spawned.

[emoji106] [emoji112]

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club