Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk1 Grinding / Clicking steering intermittent

Chris_Focus93

Hi all, 

First post here so please be gentle! 

I've got a Ford Focus Mk1 1.8 Petrol (DBW) with just shy of 150k on the clock. The other day when I was parking I heard a clicking noise as I was turning. I could feel / hear a similar sound when setting off from a complete stop on the right have drivers side wheel arch area. 

Today I took the time to give everything a good prod and shove and nothing seems outta the ordinary, other than my Power Steering fluid looking terrible - this is going to be replaced quickly anyway. and perhaps the drive side ARB / Droplink had a little bit of play, but more as I could move the ARB & Drop Link as a whole slightly.

I couldn't replicate the noise today when I had it off the ground, or when driving. I could notice a little bit of a noise once the car had warmed up and taking corners requiring more turns on the steering wheel, but nothing like the other day.

I've come across many forums and videos and i've narrowed it down to maybe one of the following... 

Drop Link / Stabilizer link 
Outer CV Joint (though thinking otherwise) 
Steering Rack
Bad / Old fluid not doing it's job when temperature changes. 
Ball Joint

I'd appreciate any ideas from the rest of you, if there's any common faults or checks I can do to save me some money & time at the garage, it would be great! 

Find an empty car park, or a road where you can full lock steering and drive slowy in a circle both left and right full lock circles. if the clicking is evident then its a cv joint. 

Hi, thanks for the responses guys, i've had a mechanic friend take a look and he suggests it's the Top Strut mount.

Only seems to happen on slow speed and when setting off / turning to the left. - The noise sounds like it's coming from the offside wheel area. 

Doesn't click like i'd expect a CV Joint to, and it's intermittent, would you still suggest it's that? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club