Do Not Sell My Personal Information

retrofit folding mirrors to early(ish) mk2

tommy1340millar

My car is a 2006 mk2 ghia estate (with no blinkin blue tooth either!)

I bought a pair of late style door mirrors, powerfold, puddle lights and indicators.

I bought a pair of door looms with 8 wire mirror connectors. These fit the mirrors perfectly, but are different to the car's existing wiring.

Car has 5 wires in a dedicated loom going to the blue connector on the door module... but..

I stripped the 8 wire loom from the replacement, and the blue connector also has the 3 wires for the later door switch.(no probs, I thought as it's not connecting to anything)

Existing loom has a load of wires going to a 3rd beige connector on the door module.

Any advice appreciated.

e.g. Mirror X-Y does not work when I tried a trial fit.

Do I have to activate anything before I even try it?

my car has this type fitted.

Blue mirror loom goes to the socket on its own.

Black door loom goes to the larger of the side-by-side pair.

My existing wiring from armrest window switch panel goes to a beige connector, plugged in to the socket nearest the end of the motor.

Can this unit be formatted for powerfold/indicator/puddle light mirrors?

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

On the Focus MK2 the power fold mirrors are not controlled by the door modules. The MK2 has an additional module (Power Fold Mirror unit) which controls the folding functions. This is a conventionally switched system. The module is connected directly to both mirrors and the switch and is not connected to the CANbus network in any way.

On the Focus MK2.5 the conventially switched power fold system of the Focus MK2 was replaced by a more advanced CANbus controlled system. The MK2.5 power fold mirrors are controlled by the door modules which communicate using the CANbus system.

On 11/2/2016 at 9:29 PM, JW1982 said:

On the Focus MK2 the power fold mirrors are not controlled by the door modules. The MK2 has an additional module (Power Fold Mirror unit) which controls the folding functions. This is a conventionally switched system. The module is connected directly to both mirrors and the switch and is not connected to the CANbus network in any way.

On the Focus MK2.5 the conventially switched power fold system of the Focus MK2 was replaced by a more advanced CANbus controlled system. The MK2.5 power fold mirrors are controlled by the door modules which communicate using the CANbus system.

JW1982 -

Many thanks, I have been on an exponential learning curve ;)

I have established which wire does what, and have ordered myself a Mondeo powerfold/hold relay and holder.
I'll wire up powerfold as a separate thing, hopefully triggering the relay from a Focus 2-way ISS/ mirror fold switch, pin 3

It would be beneficial if I could locate a schematic for the earliest mk2, as the wiring colours and orientation are different between mk2 and 2.5

On 11/2/2016 at 9:29 PM, JW1982 said:

updated

That is not entirely true. The MK2 has different (partly) different wiring from the MK2.5. The MY 2010 MK2.5 schematics do not completely match the MK2 wiring.

next to this the wiring colors can be slightly different between Model Years.

I searched my computer and found some MY2004 MK2 schematics. I uploaded them and these schematics can be downloaded from the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajg4vs6phqyiiej/Schema's Focus 2 fase 1.pdf?dl=0

• Like 4

Brilliant guys!

Stoney871 - That's the schematics I used to start, but was having trouble as my car's too early for them.

JW1982 - Superb. That's just the job :wink:

• 2 years later...

ok so my old mirrors ( non folding ) had 6 wires on plug but 8 on the passenger side door loom. pressumably 2 for motor. drivers side only has 7 on the door loom plug but 8 on mirror.

I traced extra wiriing on passenger side to pin 14 on blue door mudule connection. 

does that mean if i link drivers side door module pin 14 (currently unused) to (unused pin on ebay folding mirror switch and ive done elmconfig. it should work...

my door loom doesn't have the extra wire but if i do connect them...????

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread... Going through the same process at the moment - have a set of facelift mirrors to fit to a 2007 (PFL) ST 225. 

I have the Mondeo relay & have the pin layouts (from elsewhere) as follows:

PIN 2 = is the fold command signal / this is sent from PIN 8 at the folding mirrior switch ( Black /red wire )
PIN 3 = This is power out to the mirrors to fold them in/out ( green white wire )
PIN 4 = Is a constant feed to the module ( which should have been powered through fuse 75 ( 7.5 amp) interior fuse box ( orange wire )
PIN 5 = Is the earth to the module ( black wire )

Also have the interior alarm disable/mirror fold switch installed in the car, with an extra wire in the plug ready to run to PIN 2 on the relay. As far as I can make out, PIN3  from the relay runs to PIN 4 on the mirror connector - so just need power & earth - can anyone point me to somewhere easily accessible for those please  - and also sanity check the above logic is correct. Is anything else required to get things working (or have I missed something!)

Many thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...

Hi. I am currently doing this upgrade. Fitting FL to a PFL. I am stuck with the pin config of the switch. I have bought the double rocker switch, power fold and disable alarm scanner. Currently I have the disable scanner only. From what I can see pin1 is feed for the illumination. Pin 3 is only used if you have keyless entry which I don’t. Pin 4 is ground. So pin2 is the clincher. According to wiring diagrams it is connected to the power folding relay. Also in diagrams it is connected to modules to turn off the scanner. How can it do both? 
Or should I use pin 3? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club